BP vrs adcock-shipley BP

hoss897

Registered
Registered
I just picked up 2 machines. The first is a series 1 BP. The second is an adcock-shipley BP.
I know the second is a UK machine and has a NMBT30 taper and the USA BP has an R8 taper.
What other differences are there?
Is the head basically the same?
Rebuild parts the same?
Is one better than the other?
I plan to sell one and keep one. What is best to keep?
BTW, the 30taper came with a set of holders, collets, boring head and power table feed.

These are my first 2 bridgeports. I'm thinking of replacing my beaver knee mill with one of them. I have however, heard that the beaver is better than BP. Is that true?

Does the Beaver have box ways like this one?

1704489097774.png

They look very stout and if yours is working well why not keep it? I don't think there's anything magical about Bridgeport except that they are so numerous lots of replacement parts are available.

I've heard that 30 tapers are better than R8, but there's lots of R8 tooling available if you need to start from scratch.

John

I like the 30 taper much more than R8, they are less trouble to change holders as you usually do not have to lower the knee to do changes. I have two mills that take 30 taper, my #2 B&S mill universal head and my Fray vertical mill., I have an adaptor so the 30 holders can be used in the 40 taper main spindle on the B&S.

Back