B'port clone motor question

Investigator

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
do B'ports have 2 speed motors on the step pully heads? My clone has 2 sets of 3 wires going to the drum switch. Is that high low or forward and reverse?
What about back gears on the head?

My BP has a step pulley with a single speed 3 phase motor

there are a couple ways your machine could be wired up.
generally speaking the drum switch is responsible for directional control
It could be used for high or low speed control, but it would lose directional control by wiring it up in that way.
a secondary switch, contactor, or relay is generally used for high or low speed control

What make and model? I do know that The TOS FNK 25 has 6 wires and ground going to the motor.
See link image below.

For WYE to delta speed.
Leads 1 to 6 exit the control box.
Leads 1,2,3, are L1, L2, L3 and are live every time set to run.
leads 4,5,6 are to be joined to neutral only when set to WYE low speed on the control box. Then set to L1, L2, L3 on Delta high speed.

At the motor side, leads 1 to 6 are connected to the one below.

1 2 3 4 5 6 Join in a 12 lead motor. Ignore in 6 lead motor.
U1, V1, W1, U6 V6 W6 U2&U5, V2&V5, W2&W5

Low voltage

U1 V1 W1 U6 V6 W6 U2&U5, V2&V5, W2&W5
U5 V5 W5 U2 V2 W2

For High volt speed to low volt speed, first chose WYE to Delta for your top speed and input voltage.
WYE
Leads 1,2,3, are L1, L2, L3, and leads 4,5,6 vacant when on slow.
Leads ,4,5,6 are L1, L2, L3, and 1,2,3, are joined.
See last photo, your T1-T6 are your 1-6.

Delta
Leads 4,5,6 are L1, L2, L3, and 1,2,3, are L1, L2, L3,

1 2 3 4 5 6
U1 V1 W1 V5 U5 W5
W6 V6 U6 V2 U2 W2

Please someone double check me, I'm almost certain I have a mistake here, this is just a reference to inspire further reading. And for everyone stumbling across this be sure to disconnect your power before working. Branch all your U's V's and W's and check that leads 1 to 6 go to terminals that have at least have coil resistance corresponding to normal running speed or higher ohm's. Ensure that you are not putting top running voltage in Delta and LOW as to over heat, also not to put bottom running voltage High WYE as to run so slow it doesn't have the fan run fast enough to cool and likely stall.

1606016891645.png
1606020192061.png
1606020299767.png
1606020736018.png

My Acra has two motor speeds, Hi-Lo in forward and reverse, and the mechanical Hi-Lo.
Don't know if Bridgeports in general are like that or not, I always had variable speed machines
where I was employed, that or a horizontal machine.
Truth be told I'm keepin an eye out fer a variable speed head fer mine ..........

My Enco step pulley mill has a two speed three phase motor with high and low speed inputs. Originally the
six wires went to the switch where it chose the speed. Motor direction was controlled in the switch by reversing
two of the three wires. After the switch wore out, I opted for a VFD and only use one of the two motor speeds.
I can't say I remember if I chose the low or high speed input. The back gear is a gear and belt affair which
is strictly mechanical. The back gear reverses the direction and has a huge speed reduction. It seems to
me that the switch had four positions, low and high in reverse and low and high in forward and a very complicated
switch I might add.

Last edited:
Most 3 ph motors on the market are designed to run at 50-60hz continuously for both markets. The supply of power should always be in this range to optimist both efficiency and longevity of the motor. Halving or more the Hz will give you a lot of unwanted heat. Place a clamp on amp meter to a hot lead prior to the VFD. If high gear low Hz and low gear with 50-60Hz give you the same RPM and function. Why not chose the one with fewer amps consumed.

What make and model? I do know that The TOS FNK 25 has 6 wires and ground going to the motor.
See link image below.

For WYE to delta speed.
Leads 1,2,3, are L1, L2, L3 and are live every time set to run.
leads 4,5,6 are to be joined to neutral only when set to WYE low speed on the control box. Then set to L1, L2, L3 on Delta high speed.

At the motor side, leads 1 to 6 are connected to the one below.

U1, V1, W1, U6 V6 W6 U2&U5, V2&V5, W2&W5

Low voltage

U1 V1 W1 U6 V6 W6 U2&U5, V2&V5, W2&W5
U5 V5 W5 U2 V2 W2

For High volt speed to low volt speed, first chose WYE to Delta for your top speed and input voltage.
WYE
Leads ,4,5,6 are L1, L2, L3, and 1,2,3, are joined.
See last photo, your T1-T6 are your 1-6.

Delta
Leads 4,5,6 are L1, L2, L3, and 1,2,3, are L1, L2, L3,

1 2 3 4 5 6
U1 V1 W1 V5 U5 W5
W6 V6 U6 V2 U2 W2

Please someone double check me, I'm almost certain I have a mistake here, this is just a reference to inspire further reading. And for everyone stumbling across this be sure to disconnect your power before working. Branch all your U's V's and W's and check that leads 1 to 6 go to terminals that have at least have coil resistance corresponding to normal running speed or higher ohm's. Ensure that you are not putting top running voltage in Delta and LOW as to over heat, also not to put bottom running voltage High WYE as to run so slow it doesn't have the fan run fast enough to cool and likely stall.

View attachment 344949
View attachment 344954
View attachment 344955
View attachment 344956

I like your answer but would want to see the posters motor wiring diagram before suggesting anything

pretty sure I figured it out, almost certain its fwd and reverse. Dont have a readable motor plate. I've replaced the bearings, cleaned and repainted. I'll just hook everything back up and turn it on.

Back