Brain Buster...

Pacer

Active User
Registered
The one glaring fact that always comes out during "3 in 1'" (the general term for this type machine) discussions is - they are just not very well liked. Yeah, I know, there are a few that say something like "it does everything I want it to do" or similar, but I cant recall an owner coming out and saying he'd never swap his 3 in 1 for a dedicated mill and lathe.

You would do well to do a lot of reading on them, and theres a lot of posts out there, so you would be better aware of this tools limits, and aggravations. To generally sum up their primary drawback, is that the mill part is - well, disappointing... The lathe operation is usually given pretty high points.

I have 2 buddies that have the larger 3-1, and they dont even consider the mill function useable - and sorely regret ever buying the things.

A 3 in 1 may very well serve your needs, but you owe it to yourself to gather as much info on them as you can before you commit.

More often than not I have something going on where I need both the lathe and mill at the same time. It might be to make some little spacer on one to help with the other, or it might be turning a gear blank on the lathe, then transferring the chuck and part to the dividing head on the mill. I'd think a 3-in-1 would slow person down tremendously, probably to the point of losing interest in the whole project. Get separates, even if it ends up being an import small lathe and mill/drill.

Shopsmith - A woodworking machine desigened around a variable speed wood lathe. Works well as a lathe, as a horizontal drill press. Functions adequately as a drill press and disc sander but suffers miserably as a table saw. Overall they are a usefull tool in a very cramped woodworking shop.

Supershop - An over grown "shopsmith" designed tool. This one can be used for light metal turning, although with limitations.

Emco lathe mill combination. Well spoken of and a nicely made tool. Real metal lathe and a decent milling attachment. Made in Austria I believe. Milling attachment may be a bit light duty, but quite servicable.

Smitty 3-1 or clones. With patience these machies can do all sorts of work.

As with any combo machine there is a a lot of compromises that go into them in order for them to be able to flip, flop and fly. These compromises do not always bring out the best features. the five Ps are instrumental in working with these systems.

(**** Poor Planning brings Poor Performance!)

Set up time between functions can be time consuming and if an operation is missed on a part then it takes the time to reset everything up again.

I would not by any means rule out a 3-1 machine as they can be quite servicable, but be prepared to work within their limitations.

Often the individual machines can be obtained for less cost than the one multi tool, especially if buying new.

If you ever decide to upgrade one of the features, then you end up with duplicates, or you have to upgrade all of them.

Walter

for the most part, any lathe is better than no lathe.

Jet is one of the older established brands and unlike companies like Harbour Freight who import machines for themselves to sell with their own brand name, Jet imports them and then distributes them to a variety of companies.

If the 7x14 will do your needs then that might be the route to go. If in a few years you decide you need bigger, then upgrade and a small machine like that, could be kept to do special needs and the bigger machine for others, or sell it off whichever works best for you.

Walter

Oh, and I have heard good things about the 8x14 lathes although I have not run one myself. In import grade they actually rate better than the 9x20 from what I have heard.

Walter

Back