Bremerton, Tacoma, Seattle Area That Needs Help With A #8 Warner & Swasey M-1200 Lathe

Marv

Registered
Registered
I'm looking for someone that lives in the Bremerton, Tacoma, Seattle area that can help me with a #8 Warner & Swasey M-1200 lathe.

That is a turret lathe.
Limited usefulness in general turning work, excellent machines however for their intended purpose. extremely well made and completely bulletproof, also very powerful. I spent this morning running a W & S #5 turret lathe as it was the only machine that we have that has a 4" + bore through the spindle. The parts were 56" long which required loading them from the back, this was not turret lathe work just face and chamfer, this machine also has a sort of bar feeder arrangement on the back which required some dis assembling before use, everything is large and heavy.

I should have included "I'm trying to find someone in the area that could bring me back up to speed with some hand-on, on operating one of these if I need help as it's been 45 years since I operated one of these." So far I'm doing pretty good.

Can you post a picture of it here? I have a M-1200 but not sure it is the same. I have it and use it for general lathe work but don't know the finer points of using it. Would be nice to have a resource for seeing how these things were actually used.

Similar to mine. I can't help much on how it works. It is all functional. I would like to know something about how to set the stops.

It is very sturdy and rigid. I have another smaller precision lathe that I use but anything large or needing harder force like pressure knurling this will take care of that no problem.

new5.jpg

new6.jpg

I think you will find that is a NO 3 [m-1200 ] universal turret lathe.
I am glad to see it still has it's bar feed setup. Most people don't know how to set up and run these machines anymore. To make good use of it you need turret lathe tooling
like slide heads and box tools and the like . They are great old workhorse machines. And if you have the right jobs they are still quite handy. I would love to have one just for old times sake.
Don't know what I would use it for in a home shop but I still remember how to use one. It has been said they helped win the Second world war .
jimsehr

Similar to mine. I can't help much on how it works. It is all functional. I would like to know something about how to set the stops.

It is very sturdy and rigid. I have another smaller precision lathe that I use but anything large or needing harder force like pressure knurling this will take care of that no problem.
On the end of the turret opposite the spindle there should be a round assembly with long screws in it arranged around the diameter, one screw for each turret position. This assembly rotates with the turret, these screws are stops for each turret position.

On the chuck side of the apron there should be a similar arrangement, these are the stops for the apron feed, these screws should be numbered and are rotated by hand depending on the tool post position.
I have only used one W&S lathe so what you have may be different but in one of the pics I can just see the apron feed stops, there is probably a movable bar that the stops contact for setting them at different positions along the bed.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom