Bridgeport 9X42 Table needs to be Re-Ground

Isn't it better to tram to the vise than the table? Or at least retram to the vise?

First tram the head to the table then tram the back jaw of the vise to the X axis.

First of all, I am frustrated with tramming. The table has so many milling gouges and drill holes I’m not sure how to do it. I trammed the vice to get square and 90 degrees to the head.
I guess I could lay a precision ground straight edge on the table to make an effort.
I don’t plan on doing any precision milling but I need to have confidence a pass from one side of a piece produces the same depth.
Squaring up stock, I haven’t tried that yet, I have a 2x2 piece of cold rolled stock a foot long, I could cut it to 2 inches and make a squaring effort.
Ugly or not true? Ugly! True? Not sure yet.
I stick some thick parallels on the table to tram. This averages out the table to the top surfaces, which is where your parts will ride usually.

Reactions: Ski
Stupid thought of mine for beautifying old tables; how about silver soldering the holes and gouges then sanding them smooth?

I have seen tables filled with a high grade metal epoxy then smoothed. this worked very good. the epoxy is a commercial brand called belzona. I don't know if you can find it. note: the dust of this epoxy is magnetic. bill

Interesting you should mention epoxy. Someone has performed this fix on the vise and the table.
Ugly but fills the void.

janderso, above you said "fills the void" is that an intentional pun bill

Stupid thought of mine for beautifying old tables; how about silver soldering the holes and gouges then sanding them smooth?
I doubt that would work. The large cast iron table would be a heat sink and suck the heat away giving a cold solder joint... just my opinion.

JB weld, table covers, disk brake rotor, good to go !

Back