Bridgeport Boss 5 - Install Vari speed discs on motor shaft

dansawyer

Registered
Registered
I am bringing a Bridgeport Boss 5 back on line. The motor and parts came from someone local and the belt housing is coming from FL. I have all the parts but have an assembly question.
I have installed the Vari speed discs on a manual BP. The fixed plate goes next to the motor and the vari speed disc goes on the end of the shaft.
On the BOSS machines the motor is mounted from the bottom and the order of disc installation is reversed. There is a spacing collar next to the motor, then the moveable plate, and fianlly the fixed plate. The motor shaft itself is longer by the length of the collar; the whole vari mechanism is in the same relative postion as the manual.
My question is how is this assembled?
First: In the manual setup there is room to compress the spring because the compresson bolts are on the outer end. However of the BOSS the compression plate is onliy offset by the length of the collar. This does not appear to be sufficient room to insert and remove the compression bolts.
Second: There are two 'C' slots in the motor shaft, with the same spacing as the collar. What is the second slot for? Is there a 'C' clip on both sides of the fixed plate?
If anyone has any experience with assembling one of these any tips would be appreciated. The online videos are all for manual machines.
Dan

Progress Update: The discs do not fit through the base on the shaft. I Installed the motor without the discs. The key was to use wood shims to align the motor. This was a bit touchy but with care it was very doable.
Now - installng the discs. This was much easier than expected. The key is with the motor mounted and the ram on the floor there is great purchase to compress the spring. It is easy to hold the compressed disc with one hand and install the C clip with the other.
All in all this was straightforward.

Back