Bridgeport DRO

Scruffer

Registered
Registered
Merry Christmas everybody. I recently purchased a Bridgeport J Head mill. It does not have a DRO. So, after doing some research, I've decided to go with the DRO PROS EL 400. I am debating to either go with the 3 axis or 4 axis scale model. I definitely want the quill readout. When I spoke with the folks at DRO PROS, they said that I could easily use the z axis scale for the quill readout and they would substitute the brackets accordingly if I went with the 3 axis. I am just a hobby person and still in the learning phase. The difference in price was around $200. Buy once, cry once. Not sure if the z axis brings a lot to the table. What I like about the DRO PROS, their quill readout is part of the DRO. I am not wanting a self contained quill retrofit with separate display unit or at least I don't think I do. ?? Thks

I chose quill readout on my BP clone due to running a mill at work that was set up the same. It has it's pluses.

I also choose the quill readout as a separate item independent from the XYZ DRO. I much prefer to have the quill position display directly above the quill so I can track depth and watch the tool without having to look away. Mitutoyo makes a bolt-on kit specifically for the Bridgeport J-head that is pretty simple to install. That Mitutoyo unit is not cheap, but the batteries will last 2-3 years and the install is simple. I did my own very custom installation because I have a proximity stop that auto-reverses when the depth stop is reached, and also because I enjoy doing really custom installs. Some details are here for my quill install:

I elected to install a Newall 3-axis DRO on my mill for XYZ, again full custom install/brackets which can be seen at the link below. I have the DRO Pro's EL400 on my lathe and have been happy with it generally speaking. Some people prefer the graphical touch screen alternative, but I favor a DRO display where you can actually feel the "click" when a button is pushed and know it's accepted your input without having to look too closely. Nothing more frustrating than to press the "Zero Out" key, think it took the command, only to discover later that it didn't.

Back