Bridgeport J had spindle clone.

Laz

Registered
Registered
I recently acquired a Bridgeport series 1 ahead step bully mill. I had it donvered to VDF and rebuilt the head myself. Unfortunately a friend watche3d me do it and now wants me to rebuild his old round column Bridgeport. He is NOT a machinist but wants one anyway. I have the head appear and its a mess. Beat up by previous owners, but salvageable. The spindle seems ok but I have been looking online and see there are many Chinese clone spindles with beatings for under 200 bucks. This would be good enough for this old mill if they actually fit and work, The alternative is using the USA parts which would end up costing more than the mill is worth.

Have anyone used one of these spindles from China? I would like to know if they fit. The bearing dimensions are correct but the top bearing setup is different for the original Bridgeport .

Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.

I imagine they sell a lot of those spindles, so take that for what it's worth.

But I would leave it up to your friend how much he wants to invest in a worn out machine.

We had a member who recently posted about that- it was reported that the splines were different:

Last edited:
I have exchanged messages on eBay with one of the sellers, its less than encouraging. they keep asking me for bearings size then model of the bering. I will probably work with what I have. At the end of the day with new bearings it may work just fine. You are all probably aware that the real replacement parts are made in the USA , Cleveland Ohio. Quality machine tool is their company owed distributer. The bearings alone are around 350. Just had to see if the $200 one had any viability .

Thanks for all your help.

Quality Machine Tool or High Quality Tools?

HQT is in Eastlake and is 15 minutes from my house and they do make and sell every part imaginable for a Bridgeport. They're the same place from where H&W gets many of their parts. Their factory is in Euclid, IIRC, but they do outsource some of it overseas. But they do not make the spindle bearings.

Funny enough, I have a spare spindle (and quill) kicking around my shop.

I got it from an auction some time ago. I think it's in good condition, but it's not new.

If interested, I can take a look at it tonight to see what sort of shape it's in.

Drop me a line if you want a report back.

I got it from an auction some time ago. I think it's in good condition, but it's not new.

If interested, I can take a look at it tonight to see what sort of shape it's in.

Yes I am interested but. ew to the forum, How do I drop you a line?

Quality Machine Tool or High Quality Tools?

HQT is in Eastlake and is 15 minutes from my house and they do make and sell every part imaginable for a Bridgeport. They're the same place from where H&W gets many of their parts. Their factory is in Euclid, IIRC, but they do outsource some of it overseas. But they do not make the spindle bearings.
I live in Port Clinton, I have been to the store a couple of times and they are great people to deal with. If It were my mill I would just get a new spindle if I needed one. This mill was just so abused I am reluctant to spend the money on it and the owner is not going to need the best. I have checked on the bearings and they are available from suppliers. I think its hared to beat the "Kits" that H&W sell for the rebuild of the quill. The Timken bearing they use is all over the map in price.

I am very new to machining hobby and have been totally sucked in by it. I restore and build light airplanes and some Autsin Healeys, the mill and lathe are tools that I find it hard to be with out. No more planes and cars for now , but Machining is a great past time for me.

High Quality Tool

I can't say enough good about this company.
Most of the parts are made just a doors down! They are THE Source for Servo brand Products and repair these units in house.
The knowledge base and experience is incredible .
I also purchase tooling there at competitive prices.

I would like report back. thanks

Back