Bridgeport leveling

Jubil

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I plan to put leveling feet on my Bridgeport mill. Was wondering if 2" square tubing with 3/16" wall would be strong enough to support the mill. I will be using 2 sections of tubing, going crosswise. One in front and the other in back with hockey puck foot at each corner. I already have the tubing, otherwise I will have to buy some flat bar.
Advise and suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks
Chuck

Sure, that’s enough. A Bridgeport doesn’t care much about being level, just keep it solid, no rocking around.

The only advantages of leveling a milling machine are if you run flood coolant, so the coolant drains properly, and level can also help with some more complicated setups where you can use a level to help set up the work -- IF the table is level... I leveled mine when I set it up years ago, no clue if it still is level or not.

Thanks for quick replies.
It's not just for leveling, but to raise it up a bit (another reason for using the tubing). Thinking it might help out with the hurting back from hunkering over. Just needed to make sure the tubing was strong enough.
I have used a level to help with set ups and it seems it would be more useable if the mill is level. Just as well level it while raising it.
Chuck

Thanks for quick replies.
It's not just for leveling, but to raise it up a bit (another reason for using the tubing). Thinking it might help out with the hurting back from hunkering over. Just needed to make sure the tubing was strong enough.
I have used a level to help with set ups and it seems it would be more useable if the mill is level. Just as well level it while raising it.
Chuck
I have my Millrite lifted up 4" on commercial feet with 5/8" bolts. There are heavy nuts and washers on the top and the bottom of the mill base, and another lock nut on top of the foot itself, which only leaves about 1" of bare threads showing between the base and the floor. It is plenty rigid.

I have a friend that just got a brand new bridgeport clone mill. He documented his base in the following thread:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/935-floor-base.70746/

His only regret was that he should have made it wide enough to get a normal pallet jack underneath it, in case it ever needs moving again. The jack in the picture is an unusually narrow one, both rarer, and more expensive than the wide ones.

-- I hope this helps.

I have my Millrite lifted up 4" on commercial feet with 5/8" bolts. There are heavy nuts and washers on the top and the bottom of the mill base, and another lock nut on top of the foot itself, which only leaves about 1" of bare threads showing between the base and the floor. It is plenty rigid.

Thanks Bob, I got my idea from H&W Machine & repair. They have a kit for this purpose, but they use flat bar instead of tubing.

I have a friend that just got a brand new bridgeport clone mill. He documented his base in the following thread:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/935-floor-base.70746/

His only regret was that he should have made it wide enough to get a normal pallet jack underneath it, in case it ever needs moving again. The jack in the picture is an unusually narrow one, both rarer, and more expensive than the wide ones.

-- I hope this helps.

Thanks Dabbler. Yes that's similar to what I have in mind only not so tall, hence the 2" tubing. I don't have a power drawbar so I can't get much higher. It will be 3" - 4" higher with the tubing, I may have trouble reaching the drawbar.
Chuck

It's not just for leveling, but to raise it up a bit (another reason for using the tubing). Thinking it might help out with the hurting back from hunkering over.

Might have to do that myself. After building a workbench to just the right height, going over to that old Bridgeport is like getting through doorways in England - crouch, crouch, crouch. Supposedly average height hasn't changed much in the 60 years since this thing's been built, but it feels about 6-8" too low.

Build a pallet with 27.5 inches width in the middle and you will not regret it.

Pallet jacks are cheap and 27 wide.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Back