Bridgeport Series 1 2J Variable Speed - Motor side drive plate loose

dansawyer

Registered
Registered
The machine is a Series 1, probably early 80's. I have the motor on the bench and the drive plate assembly removed. The motor side plate does not appear to have a bushing, it is steel. If I lower the drive plate toward the motor and then rock the plate there is definitely play between the motor shaft and the plate. I would judge at least 5 thousands. The machine was not operatoinal so I have no history on if this created an issue.
(the movable plate definitly has a bushing.)
Should there be a bushing on this plate?
What is the acceptable tolerance?
Is the set screw that holds the key in place suppsed to remove free play? (the amount seems excessive for this method)
Thanks, Dan

I assume when you say plates you mean the two vari-speed sheaves. See this video. It might help. Both bushing should be a nice snug, but sliding, fit.

Ted

Thank you. I had not seen that one. It was on target for the sliding discs and bushings, that will be helpful.
My question is about the fixed motor disc. It does not have a bushing and has signifificant free play. How is the free play removed from the fixed motor plate. (there will likely be the same issue with the fixed plate on the spindle side.)
Thanks, Dan

I don't remember there being any play in mine when I replaced the bushings and, as an aside, it is very important to maintain bushing that are in good condition.

H&W has an outstanding reputation for accepting phone calls with questions such as yours. You will be able to talk to Barry the owner. I suggest you do so. They have proven to be a great resource for many people.

Ted

Back