Bridgeport Series 1 CNC BOSS 3 - gear housing - belt housing parts

dansawyer

Registered
Registered
I purchased a Bridgeport Series 1 CNC Boss 3 base, ram, and head up to and including the head gear housing. It was missing the upper drive parts and the belt housings. I found drive parts and lower belt housing from a Boss 8 machine.
What I have been able to gleen so far is the gear housing casting is different between the non CNC Series 1, the Boss 3 CNC Series 1, and the Boss 8 CNC Series 1. This is the bad news part. The good news part is the internal drive parts appear to be interchangeable. I have not checked bearings, but otherwise so far so good.
I am stuck finding a lower belt housing to match the head gear housing. I hate to go furthor and try to remove the current gear housing and try to replace it with a more common gear housing and then build back.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Dan, can you post a picture(s) of what you have there? I may have some bits & pieces that will fit.

Jim,
This is the gear housing from the Series 1 CNC ~Boss 3. The standard gear housing tapers in the back and is not a fit. The gear housing from the Boss 8 is wider overall and the lower belt housing does not fit.

Attachments

• bp_ser_1_gear_housing.jpg
    bp_ser_1_gear_housing.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 9
I need to look in my container and see what I have in there. I have a nearly complete import head that might have some compatible parts. There was also a guy on Craigslist that had a bunch of BP heads, don't know if he still has an ad up.

Back