Bridgeport spindle brake not working - do I need it?

Heezea

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
Hello, my new-to-me Bridgeport spindle brake is not working. I tried pulling in/out/left/right/up/down and there is absolutely no drag at all. I'm guessing some part of the brake is stuck or seized because I'd expect to at least feel the slightest bit of drag if the shoes were just really worn.

I'm in the middle of another project so don't really want to take the head off and apart if it can be delayed while still being able to use the machine.

My question is: Do I absolutely need the brake or can I limp by without it?

bp.jpg

You can get by without it . The only time I ever use it is when removing the tool with the drawbar but a quick jerk does the job . ( NPI)

I have the step pulley version with a marginal brake. Someday I'll get around to fixing that, but it's easy to just hold the pulley belt and use the mechanical advantage there. Sometimes I have to wait a bit for the spindle to stop spinning, that's the main feature I would repair the brake for.

The brake on my mill isn't awesome, and it holds the drawbar about half the time during tool changes. When it fails, I put the mill in low range, and that solves the problem. Looks like you have that option, and have probably figured it out.

H & W Machine repair has a YT channel, and they sell parts. I'll have to assume they have a vid on BPort brake repair.

Did you try rotating clamps clockwise to tighten it? Try one full rotation

My question is: Do I absolutely need the brake or can I limp by without it?
You can limp.

I’d assume you’re gonna need a few days of down time to account for any parts replacements. I had one of these apart before and all it was was for that one was a 30 cent spring. But we waited a long time for that spring.

Did you try rotating clamps clockwise to tighten it? Try one full rotation
Are you talking about the brake lever? I didn't realize there was a way to tighten the brake. Perhaps that's what mine needs.

Are you talking about the brake lever? I didn't realize there was a way to tighten the brake. Perhaps that's what mine needs.
exactly, rotate the lever. It may take more than one rotation and it may not be correct when the handle hangs perpendicular. Mine, Excello, Bridgy knock, off is happiest at about the 8:00 position.

exactly, rotate the lever. It may take more than one rotation and it may not be correct when the handle hangs perpendicular. Mine, Excello, Bridgy knock, off is happiest at about the 8:00 position.
Thanks - learned something new today.

Back