Briggs and sharp surface grinder?

RetiredRich

Registered
Registered
Hi,

Has anybody heard about this make? It's advertized as a Briggs and Sharp. A google search does not return any significant information. I'm thinking of buying it so any inputs are welcomed.
Here are a few pictures of the surface grinder.

SurfaceGrinder.jpg

SurfaceGrinder2.jpg

I've seen some pictures of Brown and Sharpe that look similar. I've just noticed that it seems to be missing the wheel cover. What looks like an electric box in the second picture looks out of place. It aslo says that the motor is a 2hp, 110V. I suspect the motor has been changed.

I'm waiting for a reply from the owner to get some more info.

Be careful, if it is a plain bearing spindle, the oil cup is wrong, these are critical as far as proper lubrication is concerned. They offered both ball bearing and plain bearing spindles, generally the ball bearing spindles were sealed.

My money is that it's a Brown and Sharpe very similar to mine. That looks like bare copper wire coming out of that switch??? I have no idea what could be up with that.

The spindle was most likely replaced with a spindle cartridge. That might not be a bad thing. My SG was upgraded with a Pope grinding spindle and they are excellent spindles. Mine was originally a flat belt drive with a motor inside the cabinet, but was rebuilt at some point and got the upgraded spindle with the integral motor in line.

When I bought my machine, the spindle had a 440 volt (only, not selectable to 220 volt) 3 phase motor. I didn't want to go through the expense of buying a 3 phase transformer, so I modified the spindle housing to accept a C mounted single phase 220 volt motor that's connected via a Love Joy coupling. Works like a charm!

So, check it out and consider the asking price.

Ted

And the final question is what is the price? Really cheap it would make a good project, not cheap keep looking. Mine didn't have a wheel guard when I bought it either.
Joe

I found a link to a manual from a thread on this site. The picture of the B&S 2B hands free only in the manual is exactly the same as this one.

I am somewhat skeptical of the whole advertisement
"Briggs and sharp magnetic base surface grinder. In great condition, smooth movement, no play in bed. 2 hp 110 V electric motor. Comes with one brand new grinding stone. $1000 or best offer."

How can he know that it's in great condition? It does not look like it's been used for a very long time.

I think I will go check it out with the intention of not getting it. This is beyond my experience to take a good judgement call. I'll just go over it and chit chat with the guy. That will give me some experience for the next one that may come along.

I'll let you guys know what my findings are.

I will just go check it out ... yea right ... who was I kidding.:rolleyes:

The owner is a small shop blacksmith school teacher ... very friendly fellow. After much chatting and going over the machine and $600, it somehow climbed in the back of my truck.

I arrived late last night so the surface grinder had to sleep outside. My friend will be coming over today with his tractor to help me unload it.

I've already gone through many of the threads that you guys have posted on similar models which were very helpful. If I have anything to add that may be useful to others I'll post the information.

Rich

BrownSharpTruck.jpg

Back