[Drill] Bringing Home A Beast - My "new" Drill Press

Mr.Haines

Registered
Registered
Ahhh, the joys of Craigslist...(not a horror story, just the beginning of a full shop upgrade)

I am a glassworker branching into the spectacular world of glassblowing. Being a lover of machines and and over-doer of Do-It-Yourself, I will be building almost all of my own hand tools for sculpting and shaping the glass. It is an expensive, time consuming, and altogether ridiculous decision, but I am incredibly excited. Anticipation of this work has already found me shopping for "new" tools on Craigslist. In particular, I need a drill press and a lathe.
So, after digging and waiting, I found a great little ad with almost no information besides "drill press" and "call me". And I called. The guy couldn't tell me the age of the machine, just that his uncle was the original owner. He couldn't tell me very much else, besides the fact that the drill press was very cool and, should I have friends or clients in my shop, they would really want to know where I got such a cool drill press.

Naturally, I was intrigued by the Shakespearean romanticism of this description, it spoke directly to my soul. So, bored and free, a trip to Mr. Drill Press Guy was made. Out the door, down the road, over the hill, right past grandmother's house, and to his driveway. In the garage I meet the man, whose name I still can't remember for the life of me, and the drill press.

It is very obvious that I am in love. There is a fat baby using a bow to shoot pointy sticks at me, hearts are floating before my eyes, and I am tenderly caressing her lovely cast iron curves. And why shouldn't I be in love?! She's everything I've ever wanted in a drill press: she's old, she's big, and she's for sale! (I'm not a machinist, my standards are rather superficial)

"She" is an industrial Walker drill press with a 20" table. That's all I was smart enough to write down, let alone remember. I'll be bringing this baby home on Friday, so I'll post pictures and real information this weekend! Keep an eye out for that and... Does anyone know where to find copies of the manuals for these things?

Any suggestions to a first time owner? Any ideas for proper transport? Whatever comments or tips you've got, I'll appreciate!

Thanks,
Mr. Haines

Some mild Google-ing has revealed that I probably am looking at a 900 series Walker-Turner.

If it's a 900 series they aren't all that bad weight wise. A floor model will be about 200 lbs without the motor and a bench top machine 133 lbs without the motor. For transport I would remove the motor and lower the table to get the center of gravity as low as possible. You may be able to lower the head also but typically the heads have been in the same position since they were new and may not be easy to move. If you transport standing up use LOTS of STRAPS. You can't have too many STRAPS. You can also lie it down but be careful of breaking any of the handles or switches (original Walker Turner switches are hard to find and expensive). Depending on the vintage the little pointy thing on the top (spindle cap) may be only held in place by friction so either take it off or tape it down so you don't get home with it missing. If it has an original cast belt guard take that off and put it in a safe place. They are fragile and rare.

The Vintage Machinery web site has old catalogs and manuals for free download. (They work on donations just like this site so be generous.) Here is a link to all the Walker Turner documents on the VM web site: http://www.vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex/detail.aspx?id=808&tab=3 You may find the old "General Line Catalogs" interesting to help figure out the approximate date of the machine. Walker Turner serial numbers typically aren't very useful since they are more like model numbers. You will also find user and parts diagrams on that web site.

Being a lover of machines and and over-doer of Do-It-Yourself, I will be building almost all of my own hand tools for sculpting and shaping the glass. It is an expensive, time consuming, and altogether ridiculous decision, but I am incredibly excited.

Well it's certainly obvious that you belong here!
Many of us have the same affliction, only the therapy changes (metal, glass , wood, etc.)

That drill press sounds like a great machine. I can't wait for some photos.

-brino

here is a great place for parts and info:
RFQ: Walker Turner 900 Series DP

Although we do sell the bearings separately - we do suggest customers to send us the pulley for bearing replacement if the bearings are very tight, to avoid breaking the pulley. We can also service the spindle bearings. Replacement new spindle bearings require either the use of Lock-Tite 680 retention fluid on the bore, or an alternate procedure to band the spindle shaft with one light coat of automotive primer at the bearing interface location. Instructions are provided with purchase of bearings.

WE also provide full Walker Turner electric motor rebuild and restoration to new condition.

P/N 70702 Bearing - Extended Inner race (for pulley).............................$23.87 ea

P/N 6202-625EER Bearing - Spindle.....................................................$ 8.50 ea

S&H USA..............................................................................................$ 6.50

______________________________________________________________________________________
______________________________________________________________________________________

Quotation below is for service Remove & Replacement of bearings. You may leave your chuck installed on spindle when shipping quill/spindle assy. If you would like it removed, please note this with your delivery. If you are sending both pulley and spindle for service, pls use the Return S&H for spindle only. If you would like the old bearings returned - please note as well.

Service DDP-6N Pulley R&R bearings incl bearings......................................$ 78.00
Return Shipping USPS USA.........................................................................$ 15.00

Service DDP57XX Spindle Quill Assembly R&R brgs included.....................$ 65.00
Return Shipping USPS USA.........................................................................$ 18.00

We accept check, MO or Credit Card. If you would like to pay by Credit Card, we will send you an e-payment invoice via PayPal (PayPal account not required).

Walker Turner Serviced Machinery LLC
PO Box 666
Coventry, CT 06238

WALKER TURNER SERVICED MACHINERY LLC
COVENTRY CONNECTICUT - USA

Thanks for the help so far guys! I can't wait to get the machine home.

Pulley covers are rare, most machines won't have them. There were several different styles of tables available, it sounds like it has the production table. Since these machines are all over 60 years old they have had many owners and parts are interchangeable you may never find an exact catalog match to your machine. Even when they were new dealers probably swapped parts around and did special orders, that doesn't make it any less desirable or authentic. Is it a floor machine or benchtop? Please share pictures after you get it.

Rich, she's a floor machine. I'll do detailed photos as best I can - my current camera is a bit of an ass with lighting. Part of my big shop upgrade is a new DSLR, so the next few updates like this should have nice photos! Anyhow, you can expect pictures by Sunday, Folks.

Back