Brook? Metal Shaper

NCjeeper

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member

I saw this, he wants a mint for it. For that price I would expect something much more modern and in the 24"+ range. That one looks to be 12-16 inches and older, maybe 1930s? Nothing wrong with an older shaper, they still cut metal, but the newer ones came with very nice bells and whistles such as power rapid cross feed, power table lift, power downfeed and automatic feed setup.

I saw this, he wants a mint for it. For that price I would expect something much more modern and in the 24"+ range. That one looks to be 12-16 inches and older, maybe 1930s? Nothing wrong with an older shaper, they still cut metal, but the newer ones came with very nice bells and whistles such as power rapid cross feed, power table lift, power downfeed and automatic feed setup.
I think his price is high as well, though to be fair, he has a 'real' shaper vise and I've seen those go for significant sums all by themselves.

GsT

Some screen shots. He really talks it up in the description. I remember the old saying that you can make anything on a shaper, except money. Since they are so slow.

266571740a148a8ad269f61209398b77.png

23c1b59fbea910742aee12dc03b78561.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is like the seller had AI write the description. No mention of stroke length, overall condition, horsepower of motor, etc. All the real details are left out.

"Including CNC and manufacturing..." NOT. You'd better have a pretty special need for a shaper in a modern shop. I love shapers, but generally speaking they aren't worth the space they consume except to those of us who love to watch them run. I've got a Cinci 16" HD (that's the 24" body with a 16" ram) and wouldn't give it up, but I'd be lying if I said it was indispensable, or even valuable in terms of production. I just love running it.

GsT

Back