[How do I?] Brushed Finish On Aluminum

rwm

Robert
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I have some mill finish 6061 that I need to put a brushed finish on. I would usually sand the piece but it it rather large. I'm afraid a belt sander might gouge or ripple it. What is the best technique to do this? How is it done commercially?
Thanks
R

I used to just use a wire brush in a drill or on a bench grinder depending on size. The drill method takes a steady hand.

For many years, I used a fine wire wheel for aluminum electronic cases that I manufactured. It was 1" wide and mounted on a 1/3 hp. 1725 rpm motor. Over the years, I brushed many hundreds of cases.

It is important not to have any contamination on the surface being brushed or the wheel as it will create a shiny surface. The wheel "bites" into the surface with an effect similar to the galling observed when machining aluminum without a lubricant. I would start at the middle, keeping the grain running parallel brushing to the edge and flip the part to repeat the process to the other edge. Too much pressure would start to melt the surface creating irregular patterns so some care was needed.

The brushed cases were then sprayed with a clear acrylic to prevent fingerprints from affecting the fresh surface.

For larger matte surfaces, I used an orbital sander which left a swirled pattern. You can control the pattern with the grit of pad you use. Again grease, oil, etc., no matter how little, is your enemy. I would wash the surface with Dawn detergent, rinse well and an acetone wipe to remove all traces of oil. I used this process on 15" x 60" sheets.

Bob

In medium sized job shops a machine that is often called a Timesaver is used, this is a conveyor fed belt grinder. In a large production scheme the stock will often be sent to a vendor that does this kind of work before being turned into parts, if that is not practical the parts are sent there after machining.

We often have round stock centerless ground before turning multiple parts that require a specific surface appearance, care must be taken to not mar the finish while handling as directional finishes on soft materials such as aluminum and stainless are VERY easily damaged by chuck jaws, vice jaws or any other type of clamping devices.

The best bet for a hobby project is probably a hand held belt sander (and a very steady hand) or one of the many expensive rotary hand power tools designed for just this purpose.
A Timesaver™, the shop where I work has a 24" wide model of this, a very noisy and messy beast when operating.
timesaver_zps8xdsnpkx.jpg

timesaver_zps8xdsnpkx.jpg

Last edited:
I wore cloth gloves to keep oils off parts until finished with a clear.

I think I may try an orbital sander on one side and the belt sander on the other and see what looks best.
R

Orbital is gonna leave little part circles... kinda a predictable pattern... yet kinda not.

Belt will give you nice lines the same direction.

I use a 180 belt on a disc/belt sander, but only for smaller parts. Doesn't work on large parts, so they don't get brushed.

Last edited:
Although not a true brushed finish, I like scotchbrite finishes. Much more forgiving than sandpaper.

I just turn the pressure down on the blast cabinet.

Back