BS-0 Dividing Head Set

MWCurl

Registered
Registered
Hi Guys

I am considering buying a PM BS-0 Dividing Head Set. Does anyone have experience with that item? If so, please share your comments.

What is the difference in a “semi universal” and a “full universal” dividing head. Also, I assume I can remove the chuck on the dividing head and replace it with a face plate if needed. Is the correct?

Mike

I will give a shot at part of your question, universal dividing heads can be used to make spiral features they are geared to the mill with change gears. semi universal does not do the spiral features because it is not driven by the mill. I will also make the assumption that like all Matts machines it would be of decent quality and have a warranty.

I have the BS-0 from PM. As wrmiller stated it works fine. The chuck is removable. Quality is decent for an import. A few areas were a little stiff so like many import tools it required some disassembly, cleaning, deburring and lubing.

This is an old thread (sorry for the resurrection), but I'd like to buy the PM BS-0 before my mill ships next week, and was curious if it can be used as a rotary table too?

Why not? I’ve used mine in that fashion, after making a tooling plate to hold in the chuck jaws, axis vertical. I used it a few times like that before getting a rotary table.

I've used a BS-0 that way, more or less out of desperation. It isn't super rigid, and you really run out of Z axis, but it did let me pretend I had a rotary table for a few minutes. If you need a rotary table, buy one. I plan to, because a BS-0 dividing head isn't a great horizontal rotary table. However, a PM BS-0 is pretty nice for what it is. My PM BS-0 was a lot nicer than the defective BS-0 I purchased previously on eBay. The eBay BS-0 was a quality reject. Was a hassle to return it, but eBay refunded all my money. The PM unit was a lot nicer out of the box experience. Don't regret it.

Back