"BS-0" dividing head

diamond

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
on Ebay

Looks like a Vertex knock off, or same unbranded. I see a number of sellers, all in Hacienda Heights CA and selling this for around $230. Probably all the same China importer. But wondering if anyone has one and would care to share experience? I'm sure it's not high end but serviceable?

You said it, not high end but serviceable. It does the job 95% as well at 20% of the price, so I'm happy with it. It's a capable fixture. Several others on the site have them as well. There are some discussion threads about it here that come up on search.

There is a lot going on there for $230. Could you correct it?
You know, refine the parts? clean up the burrs, polish the movement(s).
That is really cheap, especially with a chuck and a tail stock.

There is a good chance that Ebay listing is a repeat of the "Dividing Head Scam" of recent memory- You may not get anything other than your money back but it will waste your time if it's a bogus offer
-Mark

There is a good chance that Ebay listing is a repeat of the "Dividing Head Scam" of recent memory- You may not get anything other than your money back but it will waste your time if it's a bogus offer
-Mark
I saw that thread. The price on this leads me to believe it isn't that kind of scam but of course I could be wrong. The fact there are multiple Ebay sellers who have this same item (pictures and all) listed at the same price and all located in Hacienda CA does make me a little nervous. But I've seen other import sellers have multiple Ebay accounts like that.

My main question was if anyone has this and if they found it usable. Sounds like some do have it and it is usable though as Jeff said it may take a bit of tidying up. I don't mind dealing with some burs or cleaning out casting grit. Done that on some import items and so far (knock on wood) largely have been happy with the result for the price. It is a risk, I'm sure attempting to return it would be ridiculous since it weighs 50 lbs and they seller states buyer is responsible for return shipping and restocking fees. So it's a $230 gamble and I probably will give it a shot and be happy as long as the thing isn't fundamentally useless.

Search for previous threads on this. It’s no scam, and the product is surprisingly good quality. I am pleased with the purchase.

Looks interesting and the seller also looks honest- can't believe they can sell it for such a low price point
-M

I just got one of the B&S-0 dividing heads from the seller JW above recommended. It arrived six days earlier than it was supposed to, about a week from the time I ordered. On initial inspection I was impressed with the fit and finish. The 5" 3-jaw chuck that came with it is the same 1 1/2"x 8tpi as my 12" Atlas, which I've been wanting a new 3 jaw for, as it's in pretty rough shape and has a lot of runout. Took off the old one, and replaced it with the 5" from the dividing head, stuck a wrist pin in it and got .0025 runout. Loosened up the backing plate and gave it a little tap away from the high spot, tightened it back up, and got just a hair under .001. Will have to put in the outside jaws and see how close they are. I'll be leaving this one on the Atlas, and just remove it should I need it on the dividing head. For $238 and free shipping, I'm calling this one a win. Cheers, Mike

IMG_20200522_182157574.jpgIMG_20200523_133352088.jpg

Back