Bs Coolant Freezing ?

This stuff, SLUGGER, package says to thaw if frozen. Draining or removing to heated building would be a pain. I think I'll try adding some propylene glycol (less toxic) this fall, just enough to prevent hard freeze.

Thanks for the discussion and your time.
Aaron
Use RV antifreeze - Works great -------------------------

FWIW. I've used coolant drained from autos and then mixed with soluble oil for many years. I pump it out in March, put it back in Novemeber.

My Gorton, the PO modified one of the pump covers (has 2, so you can have a choice where to mount the pump), to hold a water heater element, and thermostat. I have yet to decide on using a coolant, mist, or brush, so I have not tested the heater.

Almost anything dissolved in water depresses its freezing point. Also, because of the thermal mass in your shop your coolant wouldn't freeze instantly. What's the coldest your shop will get? Test some of the coolant at that temperature. You may not have to do anything.

I've seen the damaged caused from frozen soluble oil coolant back in January 1982, west Texas, a shop I was doing some consulting work at. Guys arrived at the shop 7 am in the morning. Temperature was right at 5 degrees F. Split the housing on a 75 HP coolant pump. All sorts 2"-3"-6" pipe with splits in it. Took most of a day to thaw out the pipes so they could start replacing pipe and pump. What a mess that was!

Back