Buck Versatapper - Model #6100

Daryl,

I just called one of my customers, they make cutting oils (the make all the cutting oils I use), wire drawing lube, the grease for the space shuttle, synthetic two-stroke oil and some really high tech stuff, they are sending me a 8oz sample. When it gets here, we can work out a way to get you some.

Buffalo20,
Huge thanks!!!
I'll be happy to cover any incurred expenses.

Daryl
MN

I have two of the tapping heads , one was destroyed inside , so no parts available for them that I could find. Then found one with all the internal parts I need on a best offer so I won that to fix the other. I too will have to find grease or just use a epo grease we used in motor gear boxes like hypoid saws and Milwaukee tools.
If you find a parts place for these I'd be interested. Thanks

Daryl

If you call the local mobile distributer they will usually help.

I was lucky enough to come across one of these (Buck branded, 1/2" straight shank model). Everything seems to be clean and working properly, albeit with a little bump here in there in the planetary gearset. Came with all the accessories and the larger chuck for taps up to 3/8" shank. Grease was present and a mild brown color with no grit or glitter in it. I do not have the replacement grease for this. Should I swap in new grease or use it as is? Any idea where to find the correct grease, or would high performance synthetic bearing grease work ok?

I have yet to run a tap into anything, but the operation seems simple enough. More pressure = more torque to tap. Do people like these? Do they compare well to the Tapmatic or similar heads?

I'm excited to give it spin!

Daryl

If you call the local mobile distributer they will usually help.
When I contacted them I was told no gear sets or parts were available . Discontinued search used parts to no avail. I stopped looking after finding a second on eBay. Just to say I had tried all known avenues. If I find any arts ill get some and let the members know.

So I quickly set this up on my 10" drill press last night. First thing that I noticed was how much of the press's available work height was chewed up by the tapping head. Threw a #8 tap in the chuck and I could barely fit my smallest vise with a 1/4" thick bar of aluminum at the bottom of the jaws.

Second thing was that when I went to run the tapping head, there was tremendous vibrations at the tap end, perhaps 0.300" TIR. This might be either because my press spindle isn't very rigid, or the chuck has poor runout. One the tap bit into the work, the vibrations were mostly gone, but it made it rather unpleasant to use.

All in all, the tapping head works as advertized, however I don't see myself using it much until I can find a better drill press.

00.jpg

So I quickly set this up on my 10" drill press last night. First thing that I noticed was how much of the press's available work height was chewed up by the tapping head. Threw a #8 tap in the chuck and I could barely fit my smallest vise with a 1/4" thick bar of aluminum at the bottom of the jaws.

Second thing was that when I went to run the tapping head, there was tremendous vibrations at the tap end, perhaps 0.300" TIR. This might be either because my press spindle isn't very rigid, or the chuck has poor runout. One the tap bit into the work, the vibrations were mostly gone, but it made it rather unpleasant to use.

All in all, the tapping head works as advertized, however I don't see myself using it much until I can find a better drill press.

View attachment 307028
I know this is an old thread but I wanted to give everyone some info on the lubricant issues they been having.

I purchased a Rigid Versatapper off ebay last month. I haven't used it as I am away from my equipment for a few more months.

I have been looking into what lubricant to use as well since I am sure the tool will need it. As stated in earlier posts the lubricant is no longer manufactured and the replacement for it is sold in 5 gallon buckets. However, I did contact Lubriplate for compatibility to the tool specs. They sell quart sized bottles that meets the specifications.

At the time of this update it can be purchased at “Factory Supply Outlet “ for $26. It can also be found at Mcmaster Carr.

The product is Lubriplate 5555. It is a NLGI 000 grease that replaces the Mobilux EP 023 which replaced the Mobilex EP 23.

I have read many posts on other sites as well stating it is an oil since the manual states to pour in 2oz. If you look at the parts list it states part 6180 is a 1lb tub, indicating it is a grease.

Hope this helps anyone looking for a replace lubricant without buying 5 gallon buckets.

Thank you

Back