Buffalo Forge No. 15 Manual

javie

Registered
Registered
My first post here. I picked up a nice drill press over the weekend and need some help with it. I've been to Vintage Machinery and looked through all of the publications they have tied to Buffalo Forge, there are a ton of bulletins and maintenance manuals with parts lists but not a single 'Owner's Manual' that talks about operating the press. Would anybody here happen to have one? I've requested one from Buffalo Machine Tools but haven't heard back from them yet. The belt that is one this appears to be a late model and is on way too tight and there is absolutely no way to move it from one pulley size to the next. Forgive me, but I cannot seem to figure out how to adjust the belt tension. Any help with that would be greatly appreciated.

Also, there appears to be a chuck removal collar which is a knurled collar just above the chuck with 4 opposing holes in it. I'm guessing this is to break the seal on the taper for chuck removal but I do not have a 'tool' to turn it and I don't want to bugger up the knurling with a large channel lock pliers. Any ideas on running it out to remove the chuck?

Thanks.

Pictures? A drill press would not necessarily need a manual, anyone working in the trade would know how just looking at it. You do not state what sort of belt it is, I assume probably a vee belt? On machines with vee belts there is usually a device to move the motor in or out to change speeds and tension the belt, with some, you just spring the belt over the pulley edge while slowly turning the pulley. Again, a picture would help.

Thank you. Unfortunately that isn't the operating manual. I heard back from Buffalo Machine Tools today and they wanted $85 for a hard copy of one of those. I did look through the pics on VintageMachinery and apparently the previous owner replaced the two spade bolts that lock the two round stock bars with hex (Allen) bolts. Thanks for the input and pointing me in the right direction.

An operating manual is quite unnecessary for such a simple machine; did you see that the knurled collar above the chuck is used to both retain and remove the chuck? It says you use a pin spanner to turn it. Unless you need to remove the chuck for repair, there is no reason to remove it.

Simple to one, might not be so simple to another. I haven't worked with these before and may have bit off more than I can chew to do the restoration - that is where you smart guys come in...thanks for the help.

Here are a couple of very 'before' pics. One shows the motor mount locking nuts, it appears that they are broken off and will need extraction.

Buffalo Forge 15.jpg

Buffalo Forge 15 from the front.jpg

Nice stout machine!

Please keep posting pictures of your progress and any other questions you have.
I'll poke around look for a manual but no promises.
For some things a manual from a smilar machine could useful.

Welcome to the group!

-brino

Back