Building a crosslide

....You almost need a vacuum hookup to suck the CI dust as it's being cut.

Ed
That's what I do, and cut it dry. Never had a problem getting a good finish, but you clog up the shop vac filter pretty quickly. :whistle:
Fortunately I don't machine CI too often though.

I know it's different, but in a production environment, flood coolant is generally used. I've done my share of it in that type of work, and it does tend to foul the coolant, or at least the Trim-Sol we used, but it kept the dust down. Here in Tyler, we have a sizable foundry (Tyler Pipe) and one of the shops I worked for took some sub work from them during lean times. Hated it. Cheap and dirty.

But for your project, I think either cast iron or semi steel would be best. That said....there is nothing to stop you from making it from whatever you want. Any high alloy steels should be stress relieved before finish machining. Low alloy steels will generally be soft enough to yield under stress, and not return to position. I would avoid low carbon steels, 1018/20 or structural grades like A36, etc.

Holy crap

This thread got a lot of response I didnt expect.

Well guys, I must admit that I personally dont have much experiance with cast iron.
I will say that I havnt had much luck getting a decent finnish. I have tried cutting oil to improve it, but as mentioned on this thread, it will dull cutting tools pretty quick.

Im guessing the factory CS is CI, and probably best to stick with that. The worst that could happen is I learn how to get a good surface finish. I have avoided the CI, because its such a abrasive gritty material, and I hate getting it on my machines. I think for this one project, I just might use the CI, ant cover up the machines as well as I can, and set up two shop vacs with the magnets in baggies.

The different methods for doing the gibs is helpfull, and I think now I would give the taperd gib a go.. Hell if I was to mess it up, I could most likly save it by recutting a straight dovetail, and making a straight gib as a last resort. I think the taperd gib is doable though.

The crosslide on my lathe isnt so bad that I have to replace it. Its more of a project I want to do to restore the machine, and make this CS longer to accomidate back side tooling as well. I have looked around on the net for semi finished castings, but the little Ive found is for much smaller machines than I have.

This thread has brought up some vert good points, and great information in general. Thanks to all that have replyed to this thread, and by all means if anyone can add to this, by all means, please do so.

Paul

Back