Bull Gear Locking Pin on 10" Atlas

P51 Mustang

Registered
Registered
I finally have my new to me Atlas H54 lathe moved into its position in my shop and I have been working on getting it cleaned up and ready to use. I have been finding a few things that I need to fix or replace but I am still fairly happy with the lathe. One thing that I just found is that the pin that locks the bull gear to the spindle pulleys is missing. I read thru several threads that I found talking about the bull gear and pin, so I know what is going on. I have looked over my bull gear and it looks to be in pretty good shape as far as I can tell. The best that I can tell there is no spring or detent pin in the 1/8" hole in the gear. I stuck a short 1/2" bolt into the bull gear hole and the matching hole in the pulleys. I carefully ran the lathe at a slow speed and everything seemed to lock up and run OK.

I was able to find a new spring and detent pin for a pretty good price but I have not been able to find a source for the locking pin (part number 10-256). I could most likely make a new one up but I was hoping that I could hit the easy button and get a new one. Does anyone know of a source for a locking pin?

Thanks!

Try MyMachineShop.net
Joe Rogers
Phone 269 683 7786
I have ordered parts from him and prices and delivery were good. Good person to do business with. You may have to talk to him about a part not listed. He was helpful and all parts were received as ordered.

This (pdf below) is just one of the files available on our site download library for supporting members. The Atlas section is robust, to say the least. Since your lathe still runs, it would be easy to turn the replacement out of a handy piece of scrap, a bolt, a nub of rebar, whatever you've got. It's more fun than the easy button, and you take away some knowledge in the process.

Attachments

• Atlas 10-256 Direct Drive Pin.pdf
    25.7 KB · Views: 14

Nutfarmer, thanks for the MyMachineShop.net info. I will have to see what they may have.

Pontiac428, thanks for the pin info. Looks pretty simple. I am thinking about trying to make one.

Joel Rogers is a good source of some parts and accessories for the Atlas and Atlas-Craftsman lathes. Another source for new parts is Clausing Industrial, the final name of Atlas. Ask for either of the Mcnett brothers, or for parts for the old Atlas machines. Give them the Atlas part numbers that you want and they will either quote you price and delivery or tell you that they have none left and if you ask, offer to email you the drawings as either TIF or PDF. Note that cleanliness of the drawings will tend to depend upon age. Most of the drawings in our Downloads have been cleaned up somewhat. So if you are going to make rather than buy a part or parts, check Downloads first before you get the factory to send you the drawings for them.

Note that full access to our Downloads requires some Donor level which starts at $10.00 per year. Note also that if you want to sell anything on the
Site that, requires a donation of $25.00 per year and can't be listed in the Atlas or other fora. You must use the For Sale areas which are all at the bottom of the Forum.

Last edited:
Back