Bullet Length Tool

terry_g

Active User
Registered
I finished firing the first 100 hand loads through my .223. 68 grain Hornady match
bullets with 25 grains of Varget .010" off the lands gave very good results.

Accurately measuring the bullet length and getting the correct distance off the lands in a pain.
So in order to not have to do it every time I try a different bullet I made this simple tool.

I had an old .22 barrel lying in my metal pile I made the two parts out of it. The smaller insert is 2" long and .375" in diameter.
The larger part is 5/8" OD and I drilled and bored it so a fire formed .223 case would slide through it almost exactly .375"
There is a setscrew about .375" from the end to lock the two parts together.

You set the larger tube on a loaded round on a flat surface and slide the smaller part in till the rifling touches the bullet
and tighten the setscrew. and the measurement is recorded.

I will make one of these for all of the bullets that I will use in the rifle.

Terry

cl3.jpg cl4.jpg cl1.jpg cl2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
author=terry_g link=topic=2373.msg15928#msg15928 date=1307458989

I will make one of these for all of the bullets that I will use in the rifle.

Terry
An interesting comparator for sure. :)

But why the need for more than one tool? If you chart the OAL of the tool for each bullet used, you can adjust it as needed with the set screw, yes?
Or is it a "just because I can" situation? ;D

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think he has to worry about it wearing out. I'm assuming he was talking about making multiple tools that are set up for different lengths to be used with different bullets. Different brands/styles/weights of projectiles have different ogive/lengths and need to be seated at different levels to maintain a consistent jump to the rifling. Multiple tools would save having to readjust the tool for each bullet used, but his tool is fully adjustable as is. I was just wondering why the need for more than one that's all.

Your right Highpower! After giving it some thought the tool I made has the same dimensions
as the barrel and chamber of the rifle it was made for. So it will work with any bullet for that rifle.

Terry

It's all good Terry. Nicely finished too! Now you just need to make one for all the other calibers you load for. ;)

That is an excellent bullet & powder combination BTW. What kind of rifle are you loading them for, and what kind of groups are you getting?

It's a Savage 12FV varmint rifle in .223. I recently bought it and have tried only two bullet weights in it.
68 and 75 grain Hornady match bullets. I get 5/8" inch groups with the 68 grain and 1" with the 75 grain
bullets at 100Yds. I am going to try some lighter bullets next. I have to load the 68 grain bullets to almost
maximum load so I think they are to heavy for the 1 in 9" twist barrel.

Terry

Back