Burke MVI Mill requesting help.

DJ_99Wing

Registered
Registered
Hello,

I'm trying to setup a Burke Millrite MVI mill that I purchased 10 years ago that has been in storage since then (LOL, Life Happens). It has a few issues that I trying to fix, so I will start with this one.

I'm finding the the quill immediately drops to it's lowest position (4" travel) as soon as the Quill Clamp is backed off/ released. Is there something I need to do or adjust to resolve this issue, so that gravity does not just take over?

Thanks, DJ

On most mills there’s a big coiled spring inside a cover on the side of the head. The adjuster nut might have come loose or the spring broke while in storage.

My MVN doesn't have a spring, but I have the fine-feed lever. I believe there is a tension bolt inside the cover on the right side of the mill, so take off the handwheel and the 4 SHCS holding the plate on, and it should slide off revealing the whole mechanism.

My MVN doesn't have a spring, but I have the fine-feed lever. I believe there is a tension bolt inside the cover on the right side of the mill, so take off the handwheel and the 4 SHCS holding the plate on, and it should slide off revealing the whole mechanism.
Hi, Thanks, There is no hand wheel on this version. It has a single pull down handle. Does that version have an internal spring too?

DJ

Hi, Thanks, There is no hand wheel on this version. It has a single pull down handle. Does that version have an internal spring too?

DJ
I don't see a coil spring in the manual, but the manual is a little foggy. But if you take the handle off the plate should still be 4 bolts to take off the side of the head.

I removed the handle as suggested. There is a set screw on the end of the moving portion of the shaft (opposite the key way) that I removed (you see where it was in photo). But I was unable to remove the rest of the assembly which has a key way. I tried to pry and tap it off. It was a no go. There is a 2nd smaller hole to the left of the setscrew and it is threaded, but it does not appear to have any retainer in it. Photos attached.

I also noticed that it feels like there is definite spring tension / pressure pushing the Quill down when the quill clamp is released. Unfortunately, it appears the tension is going in the wrong direction. I am guessing it should be holding the quill up, not forcing it down.

DJ 20210712_011645.jpg20210712_011822.jpg20210712_012351.jpg20210712_011812.jpg

Last edited:
I removed the handle as suggested. There is a set screw on the end of the moving portion of the shaft (opposite the key way) that I removed (you see where it was in photo). But I was unable to remove the rest of the assembly which has a key way. I tried to pry and tap it off. It was a no go. There is a 2nd smaller hole to the left of the setscrew and it is threaded, but it does not appear to have any retainer in it. Photos attached.

I also noticed that it feels like there is definite spring tension / pressure pushing the Quill down when the quill clamp is released. Unfortunately, it appears the tension is going in the wrong direction. I am guessing it should be holding the quill up, not forcing it down.

DJ View attachment 371856View attachment 371857View attachment 371858View attachment 371859

This photo is a clearer view of the smaller threaded hole. It appears that the part I can not remove is called a "Hole Plate" I believe. I found this info from a exploded drawing I found that Mike Amick had posted. A big THANK YOU to Mike !!!

Any idea on how to get the hole plate removed?

Attachments

• 20210712_012359.jpg
    20210712_012359.jpg
    709.8 KB · Views: 5
There is a flat coil spring inside the quill housing that attaches to the down feed handle shaft by means of a screw. There is an Allen screw on the back side of the housing that secures the round shaft housing in place. By loosening that screw, you can rotate the entire housing to tension the spring and then when it is tight enough, tighten the Allen screw to lock it in place again.

The end of the spring can come off the screw if the tension is loosened too much. If you rotate the housing and it doesn’t feel like it is getting tighter, then the spring might have come off the shaft and you will need to take the right side quill housing cover off to reattach it.

There is a flat coil spring inside the quill housing that attaches to the down feed handle shaft by means of a screw. There is an Allen screw on the back side of the housing that secures the round shaft housing in place. By loosening that screw, you can rotate the entire housing to tension the spring and then when it is tight enough, tighten the Allen screw to lock it in place again.

The end of the spring can come off the screw if the tension is loosened too much. If you rotate the housing and it doesn’t feel like it is getting tighter, then the spring might have come off the shaft and you will need to take the right side quill housing cover off to reattach it.

You called it perfectly. I found the Allen Screw backed out about 3 threads. It is not perfect yet, but much better now that I rotated the housing to put tension back on the spring. The quill travel seems a bit jerky for the first two inches but smooth for the third and fourth inch. I oiled up the grease fitting, hoping it would help.

20210713_190201.jpg

Back