Burke No. 4, do I need it??

agshooter

Registered
Registered
I have the opportunity to pick up a nice Burke No. B4. I already have a vertical mill and do mostly gunsmithing work. Being unfamiliar with horizontal mills, I am not quite sure where I would use one instead of my vertical mill.

Talk me in or out of this purchase please! haha

Attachments

• 4760EF48-CC27-4045-93D5-31D4D36003E4.jpeg
    4760EF48-CC27-4045-93D5-31D4D36003E4.jpeg
    345.9 KB · Views: 45
The BP, and clones have a horizontal milling attachment you could look into for your mill, I'm not sure what you have though.

I have a Burke #4 that I am working on in my spare time ( unfortunately I don’t have any! )
I am trying to find a missing part for the vertical attachment. It’s an eccentric bushing part #b24.
if any one has a lead on this part I would appreciate it

I have a Rockwell

Probably not need, but you may find it complementary to your Rockwell. I have a Clausing 8520 and a Diamond horizontal mill which I think is comparable to the Burke #4.
These mills are similar in capacity but an H mill is generally more solid due to how the spindle is supported so can be better for removing lots of material. H mills and V mills have a lot of overlap but each has areas where they are superior.

Tooling is a consideration, well tooled the Burke may be a bargain, bare just another tooling hole to throw your money in. H mills and V mills each have their specialized tooling. My Diamond came with several totes filled with tooling, easily worth more than the mill itself.

I see this post is about 6 weeks old so perhaps too late for a decision at this point.

Back