Burke No. 4 DOC

bug_hunter

Registered
Registered
Hey Guys,

I have a 1920"s Burke No. 4. What Depth of Cut (DOC) can I expect to get in mild steel?

Thanks a bunch,

Greg

I don’t know anything about your mill except what google says. But I searched this site for Burke No. 4 and found a lot of posts about your machine. I’m sure you’ll find a lot of good info reading those posts.
Good luck & happy machining.

Chuck

Generally speaking, you should be able to cut between .015” and .035” per pass, depending upon material, tool and spindle speed

I appreciate your response. Tough insight to track down. I was getting <0.05 on some mild steel, and figured there was a problem. After a few machine and cutter treaks, I'm up to your mentioned range of .015 - .035.

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience.

Have a great weekend!

Greg

Month old thread...sorry.

On my No 4 machine, I was able to easily cut 0.187" thick, 0.500" width in mild steel with a freshly sharpened 4 inch diameter cutter.

Burke slotting.jpg

Matt

Slab mills will take more horse power. I've been playing with a 4" wide slab mill on Aluminum and can take 0.050" easily across the full width. In steel, the machine struggles. Here's a shot from a couple days ago taking about 0.100" DOC in mild steel but it's only cutting a 1 inch wide part.

burke slab mill.jpg

Matt

Here's a blurry action photo straddle milling 0.125" deep with two 0.375" width cutters in Aluminum. I could have probably been able to cut 1/2" depth without any issues. These are new F&D Tool Co. brand HSS Straight Tooth Side Milling Cutters.

Straddle milling.jpg

Matt

Back