Burke No. 4 Vertical Attachment

bug_hunter

Registered
Registered
Hey Guys,

Can anyone help me out with the location of a parts diagram for an old Vertical Milling Attachment that came with my No. 4? I believe it is Part No. 135. Quite stiff. I would like to take it apart and clean it out, and re-lubricate it.

Thanks,

Greg

Harry,

My Bad! I should have posted a photo in the original post. Mine is not that "modern technology" attachment you posted a picture of. It is probably ~1920's. Do no believe there are any bearings. Photo below.

Thanks again!

Greg

IMG-1366.jpg

Disassembled:

IMG-1367.jpg

Question: Am I missing a part on the end of the drive spindle? The spindle is fed through the body, through the worm gear (with key), and out the right side of the body. All secured by friction alone. I would have expected a set screw through the work gear, or a collar on the right end of the assembly. Any enlightenment would be appreciated.

Second issue:

IMG-1368.jpg

These are two of the lubrication points. Obviously one of the ports is missing. Any idea what they are called, or where I might get one? What type of lubrication would be used through these, grease or light oil, or heavy oil?

Thanks again to all,

Greg

Got the name of the oil port. Should have googled before i posted.

Style GB Ball Oiler

147-1-195x195.jpg

Where flush type oilers are desired, the Style GB with ball valve opening provides durable, easily assembled protection requiring minimum top clearance. The easily depressed ball valve (music wire spring) instantly closes when pressure is released. No. 520, 521 and 522 are constructed with steel balls (Cross Section No. 1). All others feature bubble closures (Cross Section No. 2).

Style GB

Last edited:
Harry, did you replace the bearings? If so what did you use? I have recently come into posession of a Burke #4 with the vertical attachment.

Tim
I replaced the Timken spindle bearing although they really did not need it and also all of the vertical head bearings. The spindle and vertical head bearing I ordered from Accurate bearing although any bearing place should have them as the bearing have all of the information you need on them.

https://www.owwm.org/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=215632&hilit=burke

Harry

How does the vertical attachment work in practice?

How does the vertical attachment work in practice?
I used the vertical head for making some t-nuts and ran into some space issues due to the offset of the vertical head with the table also length of end mill bit. A little challenging although was able to do what I needed. Keep in mind that this is my first use of a milling machine and as with anything else there is a learning curve and lesson learned was to do a little more planning per job setup such as moving through the planned sequence of cutting to make sure that I am not painting myself into a corner.

Harry

I have a "vintage" vertical head that can be seen above (no bearings). I've had it on a couple times. but the spindle does not run true. Still thinking through what needs to be trimmed/trued to achieve a true cutter spin. But, as said above, learing curve, and managing expectations.

Enjoy your weeks!

Greg

Back