Busy Bee 1237G

BigKahuna

Registered
Registered
There is one listed locally for sale and I'm a bit unsure on whether the price is fair. It's in use so in the pictures it's a bit messy. No base, but it comes with the metal table. Comes with lots of tooling.

Anybody bought one of these recently. I saw another thread where a fellow Canuck paid ~$3000 CDN (he didn't mention final price) but I don't know the condition of the lathe or whether it can with tooling.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_4380.JPG
    IMG_4380.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 54
  • IMG_4388.JPG
    IMG_4388.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 54
  • IMG_4385.JPG
    IMG_4385.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_4387.JPG
    IMG_4387.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_4384.JPG
    IMG_4384.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 51
I’m not an expert but $3000 seems a bit too much.
Two chucks is good, is there a collet chuck too?

What a lathe is worth depends on local market conditions, condition of the machine, and what tooling it comes with.
"In use?" There's no evidence of cutting fluids or way oil on that machine so it's hard to tell, but anyone that can't
take the time to clean up a machine for sale probably doesn't clean it to begin with. Having said that there's no
substitute for checking out the machine to determine wear and whether it operates properly. Without knowing what
machines like that go for in your market, it's hard to give you an estimate, but if he's asking 3000 CDN, I'd say that's
a bit high for a bog standard Chinese lathe with a bunch of use. How much is he asking?

Oh, by the way: welcome to the forum!

I believe there is a collet chuck. I'll have to check, but I would assume since he had the collet set.

What a lathe is worth depends on local market conditions, condition of the machine, and what tooling it comes with.
"In use?" There's no evidence of cutting fluids or way oil on that machine so it's hard to tell, but anyone that can't
take the time to clean up a machine for sale probably doesn't clean it to begin with. Having said that there's no
substitute for checking out the machine to determine wear and whether it operates properly. Without knowing what
machines like that go for in your market, it's hard to give you an estimate, but if he's asking 3000 CDN, I'd say that's
a bit high for a bog standard Chinese lathe with a bunch of use. How much is he asking?

Oh, by the way: welcome to the forum!
The fellow is a machinist by trade, but I agree he is a little messy. His CNC mill in his basement is much cleaner.

I have this exact lathe from 1981 (1982?). Check the oils sight glasses to see there is oil in the bearings. If not, run. The fix for this is not for the faint hearted.

Your lathe prospect is not in good condition. In perfect condition (like mine), in Calgary, it is worth about 3000. In that condition - abused, rusted and dirty as it is, 700-800 with the collets and collet chuck. AND it will need to be completely torn down and checked, relubed and rebuilt. I've rebuilt my apron twice in the 40 odd years I've owned it. This one looks like it needs it right away.

Don't get me wrong - the machine when new is a great Taiwanese lathe. It can do very good work. But your are looking at a project, not a lathe.

Here's a picture of mine, in normal use - there is no rust on it and it is completely functional - his chucks are rusted and unmaintained and those chucks were better than Bison.

Whole-bed-sm.JPG

I have this exact lathe from 1981 (1982?). Check the oils sight glasses to see there is oil in the bearings. If not, run. The fix for this is not for the faint hearted.

Your lathe prospect is not in good condition. In perfect condition (like mine), in Calgary, it is worth about 3000. In that condition - abused, rusted and dirty as it is, 700-800 with the collets and collet chuck. AND it will need to be completely torn down and checked, relubed and rebuilt. I've rebuilt my apron twice in the 40 odd years I've owned it. This one looks like it needs it right away.

Don't get me wrong - the machine when new is a great Taiwanese lathe. It can do very good work. But your are looking at a project, not a lathe.

Here's a picture of mine, in normal use - there is no rust on it and it is completely functional - his chucks are rusted and unmaintained and those chucks were better than Bison.

View attachment 356807
Thanks for your reply. Nice pristine machine you have there.

A pristine 1237G was sold in Ontario last year for 2900 (St Catherine's as I remember) The year before that 3000 (Etobicoke). In this down economic climate I'd say 2600 or less for a really good one. I'll be selling mine in the summer to a local guy.

Back