Busy Bee CX790

Mingy

Registered
Registered
Busy Bee is like Canada's Grizzly. I actually think they are related somehow. My guess is that most of the machines Grizzly, Busy Bee, King, and a few others offer come from the same source with different paint and decals. I've bought a number of their machines in the past and find them OK, but I've never spent a lot of money there.

I am considering getting a metal lathe. I've looked at everything from $550 to $6,000. I have funds but I try and control myself. This lathe is a 13x24 for C $4K (last night it was $3699!). Because I don't know anything about metal lathes, I don't know if this is a good size or a good lathe (i.e. for a China lathe). I can't find a Grizzly or ing equivalent at the moment. Because I'm new I can't post a link to the machine.

Based on reviews of Busy Bee, Grizzly, etc., I assume some tweaking will be required.

Does anybody have advice or experience with this machine or suggestions as to what to do?

Thanks

Most new machines in that size range shouldn't require any tweaking, or very little. Used is a different story.
I know you guys up there pay more for machinery but the price you quoted is good for a 13" lathe
as long as it doesn't have any unfixable problems like major cracks or the like
What does the machine for 3699$ come with? Two chucks and a steady rest would be good- even better would include a simple toolpost, some toolbits and a tailstock chuck.
-Mark

Mark

Thanks for the reply!

It comes with: Steady Rest, Follow Rest, Face Plate, 3 Jaw Chuck, 4 Jaw Chuck, Stand, Splash Guard but no tools.

Frankly, I think the stands are usually over priced so I'd prefer to not pay for
the stand and make my own but it comes with it.

Be careful here.. it looks like that machine does NOT have power cross feed, an unusual omission for a lathe that size
Maybe the reason for the lower price.
Could be other shortcomings too- check specs carefully before purchase
As always, buyer beware ;)

Last edited:
Wow. That would be a deal breaker for sure. I assumed that since it does threads it had a power cross speed.

I looked at the manual and found this:

"Longitudinal Turing with Auto-feeding
1. Set the selector knob (D. Fig. 12) to select the feed
Direction and the feed speed
2. Use the table (E. Fig. 12)on the lathe for selecting the feed
speed or the thread. Adjust the change gear if the required Fig. 12
feed or thread cannot be obtained with the installed gear set"

Which seems to imply power cross feed? Or am I missing something?

Wow, BB has not carried a 12x24 class lathe in some time. I had wanted one for years to fit my basement but could never find one.

You should know as well, they dont command a decent resale value in the GTHA because everyone wants 36" between centers on the 12" or 13" swing lathes.

A person in Milton has been trying to sell their similar sized lathe on kijiji for well over a month for $2200 maybe you can knock em down to 1750 or so.

The owners of Busybee and Grizzly are related.

They purchase from the same Taiwanese manufacturing groups. They have very close specifications, but busybee does often spec their products cheaper judging by the direct comparisons of their products that I have made

Wow. That would be a deal breaker for sure. I assumed that since it does threads it had a power cross speed.

I looked at the manual and found this:

"Longitudinal Turing with Auto-feeding
1. Set the selector knob (D. Fig. 12) to select the feed
Direction and the feed speed
2. Use the table (E. Fig. 12)on the lathe for selecting the feed
speed or the thread. Adjust the change gear if the required Fig. 12
feed or thread cannot be obtained with the installed gear set"

Which seems to imply power cross feed? Or am I missing something?
Nope.

This is to set the direction and rate of rotation for the main lead screw which controls the carriage travel, and on my lathe also does cross feed travel. That is lacking on the 709

Wow, BB has not carried a 12x24 class lathe in some time. I had wanted one for years to fit my basement but could never find one.

You should know as well, they dont command a decent resale value in the GTHA because everyone wants 36" between centers on the 12" or 13" swing lathes.

A person in Milton has been trying to sell their similar sized lathe on kijiji for well over a month for $2200 maybe you can knock em down to 1750 or so.

The owners of Busybee and Grizzly are related.

They purchase from the same Taiwanese manufacturing groups. They have very close specifications, but busybee does often spec their products cheaper judging by the direct comparisons of their products that I have made
Omg! Thanks! I had checked Kijiji and found nothing but I must have had my filters wrong. I'll check it out.

Thanks!

Back