Buyer Beware, Real vs. Counterfeit

mksj

Active User
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I rarely buy items direct from China sold through eBay, Amazon, AliExpress, Alibaba, etc., as too often mainstream products are counterfeit or extremely poor quality. I try to verify authenticity of products before I make any purchase, by carefully reviewing the description and item pictures, as well as asking questions. More recently I was looking for a specific electrical sensor and due to supply issues they were not in inventory at the major suppliers that I use in the US, it was available through some eBay sellers out of China. One vendor seemed to be selling the authentic sensors based in the posted picture and description, so I ordered two sensors. What showed up to my dismay was a close copy, but didn't match the posted eBay picture or product specifications. I only knew the differences because I have installed 100's of these in the past and was familiar with the product. This is nothing new, as just about everything seems to be copied and sold at much lower prices these days. The irony is there are even some better made Chinese products are also copied and sold as knock offs.

The reason why I occasionally use eBay, is that in most cases you have some recourse to resolve an issue if a product is not as described, and many of the Chinese sellers will go to great lengths to protect their feedback ratings. But you first need to identify that what you received is not as described, then open a dispute case, and often the sellers will try to reduce the amount they credit you and the process can take weeks. The other factor with Chinese sellers is that they can afford to ship items to the US for next to nothing, but should you have to return an item it is exponentially more expensive and takes weeks if not months to get delivered. In this case the the seller excepted returns, but "buyer pays return shipping costs". If I had needed to return these sensors, the shipping costs would have been much more than the cost of the parts.

When it comes to counterfeit electrical parts, I typically find that fit and finish is worse than the OEM, and small details such as part finish, dimensions, performance are different. So I thought I would post this example, as "Buyer Beware" when you are buying items, as the flood of counterfeiting seems to be getting much worse and some sites it is the norm as opposed tot he exception. In the end, the seller gave me a long story "I picked up this batch from another supplier. The upstream supplier told me that this batch was the same as our previous ones and worked properly, so maybe I was fooled by him this time. I'm really sorry, this is the first time I've received this feedback, I've sold a lot before and never had any problems. Maybe it's because of the change of supplier this time.", whatever, it is always some story. In the end, the seller credited me what I paid, but it took a lot of time and distress that I didn't need, and hopefully well not get drawn into the dark side again.

Note the difference in the barrel and the sensor labeling, also to look at is the paperwork/box/specifications as they will not match the OEM product.
Ebay Item number 385822111489 Picture of Item left not the same as item on sent on right.jpg

Dimensions did not match the OEM specifications.
Ebay Item number 385822111489 length does not agree with manufactures specifications.jpg

Often they skimp on materials and fit/finish, you often see this on the materials and plated parts.
Ebay Item number 385822111489 Item nuts are poorly made, not the same as factory nut on left.jpg

Ebay Item number 385822111489 Factory nut shuold be 4 mm, item sent does not meet factory widt...jpg
The indicator LED did not match the OEM specifications nor did it blink per the specifications.
Ebay Item number 38582211148 Sensor indicator light is suppose to be yellow not redish orange.jpg
The sensor operating distance was horrendously poor.
Ebay Item number 385822111489 Operating distance is suppose to be 10-12 mm, measured operating...jpg
images.jpg

Last edited:
Anddddd? your surprised. Everything is suspect, even from reputable dealers.. Even they sometimes get burned.
China cares nothing for patent laws, or fraudulent labeling. I laugh at certifications from China..
Many of the copies are poor, some are good, and some are hard to differentiate.

Loctite, Fluke.. Mitutoyo...

I would suggest contacting the manufacturer’s corporate headquarters and let them know where you got a counterfeit product. Many manufacturers are putting in efforts to stop this and appreciate help in tracking them down.

These prox's are hard to come by . Every machine in at work has many of them and it'd usually a 6 month lead time even if they have them . These last two years has gone down hill on stock and delivery time . Gear boxes , motors , electrical supplies you name it . Hard to build up inventory these days . We had a much used and needed part that we use by the 100s . The manufacturer told us he will ship 10 at a time , no more . I believe he will be charging set-up time for each order or is ripping us off and taking advantage of the supply chain situation .

Disappointing to hear Mark, but sadly I'm not at all surprised. I now only buy things that are actually used on eBay and where I can exchange messages with the seller. And I'm really turned off by trying to sell stuff on eBay anymore because of their 12.9 percent completion fees.

Interesting- I've bought many components from Aliexpress but never those. I have bought several pressure sensors, no problem.
Many other semiconductors, caps, memory chips, never been burned yet. Knock on wood I guess

To add to the OP's cautionary statement be sure to confirm the seller's actual location by clicking on their name in the "Seller Information" box, then clicking on the "about" link on the information page. Recently I was looking for a replacement fuel tank for my end loader. Dozens of vendors came up with the vast majority stating they were US based on the listing page. However, when going to the "Seller Information" page 99+% were in China.

In the past I've tried a few times to do business with Chinese vendors. Unfortunately, it has rarely worked out well. While I did eventually get the products, I was looking for it sometimes took weeks of work, and the hassle of opening cases against them. One time I found the company I was attempting to do business with had nearly 2 dozen vendor names, all supposedly in the US, but when digging a little deeper they were all in China.

To that end I will now only do business with companies I can confirm are based in the US. Sometimes the prices are slightly higher, but I know they have to play by our rules to stay in business.

To add to the OP's cautionary statement be sure to confirm the seller's actual location by clicking on their name in the "Seller Information" box, then clicking on the "about" link on the information page. Recently I was looking for a replacement fuel tank for my end loader. Dozens of vendors came up with the vast majority stating they were US based on the listing page. However, when going to the "Seller Information" page 99+% were in China.

In the past I've tried a few times to do business with Chinese vendors. Unfortunately, it has rarely worked out well. While I did eventually get the products, I was looking for it sometimes took weeks of work, and the hassle of opening cases against them. One time I found the company I was attempting to do business with had nearly 2 dozen vendor names, all supposedly in the US, but when digging a little deeper they were all in China.

To that end I will now only do business with companies I can confirm are based in the US. Sometimes the prices are slightly higher, but I know they have to play by our rules to stay in business.
not necessarily, the term fly by night company describes companies that change names all the time and avoid our business etiquette. Especially in the residential contracting field. These days, you have many ways to search out a company that's brick and mortar, but these small companies online, it's quite difficult. Ebay, Amazon and similar companies help to hide the bad..

One of my favorite bashes is the vendor : gigigirl111 He should be removed from ebay. He is a total jerk, Yet somehow ebay erases some of the negative posts, and keeps him there. Some of the negative get through, and it often shows a guy that should be removed, it's always the buyers fault when he doesn't ship an item. His response is I'm banning you. Opening a case with ebay with this guy is futile.

So contrary to the argument that Chinese vendors are the worst, we have some locally based scum of the earth here in the USA.

I ordered from a guy I paid him immediately, he didn't send it out for 2.5 weeks or so (this was a while ago so exact numbers might be sketchy). I contacted him asking why he hadn't shipped it yet, and he told me rudely that he has another job and I should go f off, it's not that important.
Yea, I send him what I considered a large purchase, and he sends me his feelings about how unimportant my purchase is to him.

Back