Buying A Genuine RF-45 eMachineTool.com?

That machine look far nicer and more ridged than your other choice... Great Buy!

I know this is a real old post but just wanted to comment just in case someone were to stumble upon it while researching a RongFu 45 mill.
From what I can tell... EMachines has a pic of a Rong Fu 45 while they actually selling a round column RF30 series mill. The confusion is amplified because the link is of the model with base.... RF31.
Neither is of the dovetail 45 mill

I know this is a real old post but just wanted to comment just in case someone were to stumble upon it while researching a RongFu 45 mill.
And that would be me that stumbled upon it!

I was originally looking at the Bolton Tools ZX45A which is a RongFu 45 clone with a few extra features!
ZX45A-1-228x228.jpg
But after reading about Bolton's poor customer service & unavailable parts problems, I have been looking elsewhere.

Lately I've been looking at pretty much the same machine as the Bolton but without the power feeds at a local Production Tool Store.
30060080.jpg
Talking to the salesman at Wholesale Tool, He mentioned that they can order most of the smaller replacement parts fairly easily.
However any of the larger/heavier items naturally cost quite a bit to have shipped! He also mention that a lot of the parts from the Grizzly benchtop mills may also fit.

Here’s what I ended up buying, a Grizzly G0678. It’s a Taiwanese made 8x30 knee mill.
Any updates on how the Grizzly is holding up?

Doug

And that would be me that stumbled upon it!

I was originally looking at the Bolton Tools ZX45A which is a RongFu 45 clone with a few extra features!
View attachment 384095
But after reading about Bolton's poor customer service & unavailable parts problems, I have been looking elsewhere.

Lately I've been looking at pretty much the same machine as the Bolton but without the power feeds at a local Production Tool Store.
View attachment 384096
Talking to the salesman at Wholesale Tool, He mentioned that they can order most of the smaller replacement parts fairly easily.
However any of the larger/heavier items naturally cost quite a bit to have shipped! He also mention that a lot of the parts from the Grizzly benchtop mills may also fit.

Any updates on how the Grizzly is holding up?

Doug
Hey Doug, well that Grizzly ended up being an unmitigated DISASTER. The machine was basically assembled with hammers and chisels at the factory.

Based on what I’ve learned, a bed mill type machine like the RF45 is far more rigid and capable than the tiny knee mills. I really really should have bought an RF45 type.

Basically the bed mill type machines have fewer mating surfaces and simpler geometries so the factory can afford to spend a bit more on labor fitting them.

I ended up completely rebuilding my machines, scraping all the mating surfaces.

Post in thread 'Grizzly G0678 8x30: Repair, Scraping and Alignment'
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/thr...pair-scraping-and-alignment.87288/post-869719

well that Grizzly ended up being an unmitigated DISASTER.
Thanks for the update & the link!

Based on what I’ve learned, a bed mill type machine like the RF45 is far more rigid and capable than the tiny knee mills. I really really should have bought an RF45 type.
My first thought was to go with an original RF 45 But after reading some comments in the link you provided in the first page I'm re thinking that idea!

Better off getting a Precision Matthews PM-932M and just hand scraping the ways and gibs?
I looked into that option, But Unfourntaly the PM-932's are on backorder status with no available date for arrival.
On the plus side of that! With a lot of these import machines being held up due to the current shipping problems, I'll have a little more time to save up some more cash.

Doug

I bought a very used RF-45 and still have it. It was my first mill. I have it at another location... kind of storage now and am now using a Millrite knee mill which is also a very nice machine. That said, The RF-45 in my opinion is almost every bit as rigid as my Millrite. They are nice mills.

EMachines has a pic of a Rong Fu 45 while they actually selling a round column RF30 series mill. The confusion is amplified because the link is of the model with base.... RF31.
Neither is of the dovetail 45 mill
Being this was from an old thread I don't believe that EMachines is still around anymore, Or they changed their name?

From my checking around on the web it appears that RongFu has too different plants, One in Taiwan & another in Mainland China!
Based on other items from that region, There's usually better quality equipment coming from Taiwan.

It appears as though there is a C after the part# for the Mainland China made machines?
Here's what they show on Penn Tool
RF-31Rong Fu 1.5 H.P. 110V/220V 1 Phase Mill Drill (Made in Taiwan)
RF-31-CRong Fu 1.5 H.P. 110V/220V 1 Phase Mill Drill (Made in China)
There seems to be a few hundred dollars difference in the price also.

That may explain some of the quality issues mentioned before?

Doug

Back