buying a Logan 14

John_Dennis

Active User
Registered
I am going to look at a Logan 14 inch. I do not know the model. It has a quick change gear box, motor is underneath, has taper attachment.

I know this isn't much to go on but can anyone tell me the following:

How much does it weigh?

What is the standard 220 motor ( amperage or horsepower )

Is this a good model? I have a little Logan 820 already.

Thanks

John

00X0X_8bP9uh6NU9w_600x450-1.jpg 00S0S_e5s5PGH4MCs_50x50c.jpg 00S0S_e5s5PGH4MCs_600x450.jpg

That collet chuck is worth $400
weight would get close to 1500#
download the old catalog from the Yahoo group for specifics
make sure the VS drive works smoothly through the whole range

I saw that listing John, I would go ASAP and check it out. Hope it is in good condition for you!

David

I bought it and got it home. With the power of the wheel, the lever, and the inclined plane, I unloaded this by myself and turned it around in my garage using pipe rollers and 2 tiny floor jacks. It came with a ton of tooling including the 6c collet chuck, which is what attracted me to the lathe in the first place. It seems to run well. I will make some test parts to see how true it is.IMG_1468.jpgIMG_1466.jpgIMG_1467.jpg

IMG_1466.jpg IMG_1467.jpg IMG_1468.jpg

Very nice. Glad to see I was right on the model number.

Great score! I have a 6561h so if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Great score! I have a 6561h so if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Do you have any manuals? I have an older Logan 820. Some of the controls are different on this new lathe.

Also there is an attachment on the cross slide that looks like a taper attachment but it only clamped so the bed on one side. Every taper attachment I have seen is clamped on 2 sides. I will post photos later.

John

Like you, I thought it would need a clamp on each end. I was told they only use one clamp, normally on the tailstock end.

DSCF7813.jpg

The one that came on my 12” was so gunked up it was unusable. When I tore it down I went ahead and gave it a shot of paint. I'll get to the rest later...much later.

Manuals are available from Logan Actuator Company. Seems like $35 or so.

I looked all over the floor a couple days ago, looking for that "missing clamp":panic:On my 12" logan

Back