Buying a metal lathe

Congrats on pulling the trigger on a sherline. Now the fun begins. We get to help you spend more $$$$ than you can imagine on stuff that you think you have to have and can't live without. The reality is that most of that stuff you will never use Instead of buying everything under the sun to start with only buy what you need to accomplish the project at hand. And buy the best quality you can afford.

If you haven't read Mikey's very, very long thread on grinding tool bits put that at the top of your list. I have read it start to finish several times. And still consult it often. Having properly ground, sharp tool bits makes a world of difference.

Even though I have been at this for several years I am still an rank newbie at machining. IMHO Mr. Pete aka Tubalcain has the best instructional videos on the internet. He is a retired high school shop teacher and knows how to teach. He is my go to source for the basics. This website ranks right up there with Mr. Pete as the best source of information on machining.

And we love to read about member's projects. Don't be shy. Let us know what you are up to.

Last edited:
Congrats on pulling the trigger on a sherline. Now the fun begins. We get to help you spend more $$$$ than you can imagine on stuff that you think you have to have and can't live without. The reality is that most of that stuff you will never use Instead of buying everything under the sun to start with only buy what you need to accomplish the project at hand. And buy the best quality you can afford.

If you haven't read Mikey's very, very long thread on grinding tool bits put that at the top of your list. I have read it start to finish several times. And still consult it often. Having properly ground, sharp tool bits makes a world of difference.

Even though I have been at this for several years I am still an rank newbie at machining. IMHO Mr. Pete aka Tubalcain has the best instructional videos on the internet. He is a retired high school shop teacher and knows how to teach. He is my go to source for the basics. This website ranks right up there with Mr. Pete as the best source of information on machining.

And we love to read about member's projects. Don't be shy. Let us know you are up to.
Mr. pete is great. The person I wish I had as a shop teacher is Marc, aka "That Lazy Machinist". fantastic stuff available on the 'Tube! For beginners or anyone, "Blondihacks" has become quite good at providing intelligent insight. Joe Piezinsky (sorry for the butchered spelling) has learned me some good stuff but is not at beginner focused IMO.

When looking for a lathe the stated overall length and throw over the bed can be somewhat confusing issues. Some manufacturers use the total length of the bed, while others give the usable length. I have 2 machines that may be a bit larger that the one you're looking for. One is a Sheldon model MW 56P, the other is a Seneca Falls Star #20 machine For the Sheldon the letters MW designate the drive style, 56 designates the total length of the bed, and P designates it's a pedestal style machine.

In this case 56" is the length of the bed from the spindle nose (without a chuck installed) to the end of the bed. The working distance is much shorter depending on whether you use a 3 or 4 jaw chuck or a collet system. With a collet system the working length between the nose of the collet and the tailstock is 34". That distance can be reduced another 6" to 8" depending on the size of the 3 or 4 jaw chuck you are using.

The Seneca Falls machine is advertised as a 9" x 60" machine. In this case both dimensions are a bit deceiving. The 9" supposedly refers to the swing over the bed. In reality the swing is 10-1/4" rather than 9". Why they chose to do this is beyond me.. Like the Sheldon machine the advertised length of 60" is from the face of the spindle to the end of the bed. The working length when using a collet system is a little over 50", and is reduced another 4" to 6" depending on the size of the 3 or 4 jaw chuck used.

And we love to read about member's projects. Don't be shy. Let us know what you are up to.

I know you guys will get that smile off my face (well, maybe not - more likely my wife's face when she finds out about that $$$$ ;)). Will make sure to keep you posted once I feel I have something worthy of bragging about (remember - I'm just a humble beginner now).

Most of us on here are humble beginners. You will have lots of questions. Don't be afraid to ask. The people who really know their stuff will bend over backwards to help you out.

Most of us on here are humble beginners. You will have lots of questions. Don't be afraid to ask. The people who really know their stuff will bend over backwards to help you out.

I really appreciate it, and it has already been a great experience. Newbies get all sorts of treatment on other websites, but you guys have an amazing community here - everyone has been very nice and supportive right from the start.

I was totally in the dark when I started, and this is the only machining web site I am on. From knowing nothing to the point now that I feel like a 12v bulb in a 6v socket, just starting to have a glimmer :grin:

Last edited:
It is good to know that everyone, including pro machinists, starts out knowing nothing. This has nothing to do with intelligence; it has to do with learning and experience that will come with time. Ask, learn and share. There is a lot to learn in this hobby.

One day, when some new guy asks a question, remember where and how you began and be gentle with them.

And as you are going along you will be getting more experience, and you will also find out that experience is something you get right after you needed it.... :)

Back