Buying a used BIAX scraper

Richard King 2

Master Machine Tool Rebuilder & Instructor
Former Member
Beware of the old BIAX scrapers as the Newer Green motored ones that used a Metabo motor are scary for me . I used to be able to buy repair parts from Metabo on those models. DAPRA / BIAX stopped selling motor parts 15 years ago and Metabo was the only source. Now Metabo discontinued supporting those motors. I have ben told by Ed Dyjack one of the remaining BIAX USA repair station and DAPRA one has a difficult time rebuilding the motors as the wire windings are so thin. I have 8 of those green models :-( . I discovered in Europe you could buy a saber saw made by Metabo that used the same motor. But friends in Europe said they can't buy parts there either. The European model number is a ST-EP 564. The BIAX black model motors supposedly are not compatible because of the drive worm gear is different. I am temped to buy a new BIAX and check, but the new models sell for over $4000.00 . So I want to limp along using the green ones as long as possible. A student in Oregon bought a green motor Biax on eBay for $2500.00. thinking he could use it for a while....he is now worried like me. Just thought everyone should know. Rich

1624886270627.png

So, old blue biax are ok?
No...those motors were obsolete 40 years ago. I only have 1, I bought for $300.00 a couple of years ago. It was like new. Im looking at Delta drill motors, they may fit....rich

No...those motors were obsolete 40 years ago.
That may be true if you're rebuilding machines professionally, as you are.

But for us hobby guys, a more relative viewpoint seem appropriate.

I've got one of those old blue Biax scrapers and it serves me just fine for my once-in-a-blue-moon usage frequency.

My Logan lathe from 1945 and my 'CNC' Bridgeport from 1985 have both been "obsolete" for decades, but they still work great in my shop.

This is a good opportunity for someone to get creative and come up with a way to refit a quality power tool.
We have seen some attempts on Youtube, but lack the stroke adjustment capabilities.
Looks like a worthy collaborative group project :)
I'm not smart enough or creative.

I was telling folks so they knew. I have a Blue one too, I know dozens of people, pro's and hobbyists who have them. My first power scraper was a blue one in 1972. I used it for 10 years with-out issues. You can add a Variac or router speed control to slow them down. I'm not criticizing it, just helping folks out so they know. I am not "rebuilding much now" just teaching it

This is a good opportunity for someone to get creative and come up with a way to refit a quality power tool.
We have seen some attempts on Youtube, but lack the stroke adjustment capabilities.
Looks like a worthy collaborative group project :)
I'm not smart enough or creative.

I've seen and tested some of those home made ones. They have to take it apart to change the stroke.... or the ones I saw. After the builder test a real BIAX, the home made one ended up in the bottom of his tool box...

I've seen and tested some of those home made ones. They have to take it apart to change the stroke.... or the ones I saw. After the builder test a real BIAX, the home made one ended up in the bottom of his tool box...
Because he gave up on doing scraping, or because he shelled out for a Biax? At a certain point the used price of a Biax (They seem to have more than doubled in value in the last ~3-4 years!) is going to make some home-made one 'good enough'.

Its a shame there is no 'consumer' version of the tool. The mechanism isn't much more complicated than a jig-saw or saws-all, but I realize the market is small enough to make designing one not particularly profitable. Still, I wonder if it is just a chicken-and-egg problem: the entry cost of machine-rebuilding scraping is so high [0] because it is such a small hobby, but the hobby is so small because the cost-of-entry is so high.

[0]unless i want to spend the next 10 years with a $100 hand-scraper + whatever-cost tool-grinder

Because he gave up on doing scraping, or because he shelled out for a Biax? At a certain point the used price of a Biax (They seem to have more than doubled in value in the last ~3-4 years!) is going to make some home-made one 'good enough'.

Its a shame there is no 'consumer' version of the tool. The mechanism isn't much more complicated than a jig-saw or saws-all, but I realize the market is small enough to make designing one not particularly profitable. Still, I wonder if it is just a chicken-and-egg problem: the entry cost of machine-rebuilding scraping is so high [0] because it is such a small hobby, but the hobby is so small because the cost-of-entry is so high.

[0]unless i want to spend the next 10 years with a $100 hand-scraper + whatever-cost tool-grinder

The OTHER question is whether we can get a cheaper/homemade version to be 'good enough' for the hobbyist. Ryobi exists for woodworking, but the first time a Ryobi owner picks up an M18/Mikita/etc, they realize what they are missing! I did the same with dial calipers. I used to use Fowlers or some other mediocre quality import (which are good enough), but as soon as I felt a Starrett/B&S, those imports ended up at the bottom of my toolbox.

There are things one can do, The Vacaville guys who eeler, John York, ultama, Rex Waters (sorry I am screwing up these names) is a member buys tools and shares them. They have a group or it could be called a scraping club meet and share tools...Some find bargains on eBay and a few have bought new. Many times student who take the classes don't want to learn how to Biax Power scrape and only hand scrape as they figure they will never be able to afford one. That is why I said, one of you needs to figure out a to convert another brand motor to the thousands of Biax's out there. Stefan Gottswinter (you tuber and student) had a another German made power scraper and after he used a BIAX he sold it. I have only seen one here in the USA. I'll have to remember the name and ad it later. Schmeege I think.

Back