Buying a used BIAX scraper

I have heard from 2 students, one is the friend of the other who is an engineer entrepreneur. He attended MIT and is going to work on a fix for this issue. He believes he has found a $100.00 power tool motor that will bolt right on or he will make a a small adapter plate. So we will have a fix. I will keep everyone in the loop when I hear more. :)

I've seen and tested some of those home made ones. They have to take it apart to change the stroke.... or the ones I saw. After the builder test a real BIAX, the home made one ended up in the bottom of his tool box...
Oh I get it.
Richard, there is a real need for a Biax for many DIY want to rebuilders out there. IMHO
But to put out $3,500 or more for a power scraper is just stupid.
The clapped out Ebay finds for $2,000 is also ridiculous. IMHO

There are things one can do, The Vacaville guys who eeler, John York, ultama, Rex Waters (sorry I am screwing up these names) is a member buys tools and shares them. They have a group or it could be called a scraping club meet and share tools...Some find bargains on eBay and a few have bought new. Many times student who take the classes don't want to learn how to Biax Power scrape and only hand scrape as they figure they will never be able to afford one. That is why I said, one of you needs to figure out a to convert another brand motor to the thousands of Biax's out there. Stefan Gottswinter (you tuber and student) had a another German made power scraper and after he used a BIAX he sold it. I have only seen one here in the USA. I'll have to remember the name and ad it later. Schmeege I think.
As one of the members of "the Vacaville group", we have a few guys-Rex, who are very accomplished Biax users. Rex has one, I believe, but he has more money than Elon Musk :).
It would be a good idea to spread out the expense and share. I just don't know how many members would be interested in rebuilding a machine tool and spending the money to wait to use the wonderful device??

Richard, as a courtesy to you. The SVHSM members that are active on this forum are,

Rex Walters
eeler1 Jon
Bob Korves-hasn't posted in a long time
talvare Ted
Aaron_w
Janderso Jeff
Nut Farmer -Steve
Achipo Evan
Benmychree -John

Cheers

Removed and re-posted below...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm BAAAACK, Jeff! And quite happy to be here again...

I have an old blue Biax that I bought for $125 (if my memory is correct... ;-) It was loose as a goose in the slide ways from wear as purchased, but the motor and everything else were working just fine, and it came with the factory box and some extra tooling, in working condition and nothing was broken. I was able to re-work the slide ways so it is a lot tighter than it was, pretty close to new as far as how it performs. Keep on the lookout for a decently priced Biax that works, and jump on it as soon as you can! Building a new one from scratch that will actually do good and comfortable work seems to not often be a trivial project that does good work. Sure, it is fun to build our own tooling, but sometimes it pays to just get the tried and true and get to work on making stuff we really want to make... Bob K.

I'm getting ready to buy a couple of new Biax Scrapers in a week or 2. I am going to sell 2 or 3 of my old green ones on eBay as I want an auction and won't favor anyone. My starting bid will be around $2400.00

I'm BAAAACK, Jeff! And quite happy to be here again...

I have an old blue Biax that I bought for $125 (if my memory is correct... ;-) It was loose as a goose in the slide ways from wear as purchased, but the motor and everything else were working just fine, and it came with the factory box and some extra tooling, in working condition and nothing was broken. I was able to re-work the slide ways so it is a lot tighter than it was, pretty close to new as far as how it performs. Keep on the lookout for a decently priced Biax that works, and jump on it as soon as you can! Building a new one from scratch that will actually do good and comfortable work seems to not often be a trivial project that does good work. Sure, it is fun to build our own tooling, but sometimes it pays to just get the tried and true and get to work on making stuff we really want to make... Bob K.
Bob,
You want to triple your money on that Biax??

OK Uncle Bob, don't forget me in your will :)

Back