Buying advise on Birmingham CT 1440G Lathe

wachuko

Professor of Pending Projects
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
This is located some 4 hours away... I just called and someone is going to look at it today, so maybe another missed opportunity, but just in case. I am searching youtube for videos on this model and searching here for posts as well... Looks to be made in Twain

Birmingham CT 1440G Lathe for US$2995.00 - owner is closing shop and selling everything... For that price I could cancel my order of the PM1236. I just do not know enough about this brand...

L1.jpeg

L4.jpg

L2.jpeg

L3.jpeg

A 14" lathe with tooling under 3K doesn't sound like a bad deal . If this is truly out of a working shop , the owner has already worked the bugs out of it which is good . Check for wear on the beds . The lathe itself looks identical to all these Tiawanese lathes , exactly like the Shop Fox I sold years back . Not sure of the price on a new PM 12" but this is worth a look in my book . YMMV .

If you can handle the size/weight, then I would have jumped on that.

Just waiting on them to let me know if the guy, that is looking at it today at 1PM EST, buys it or not...

Once again kicking myself... I had seen this lathe several days back on Faccebook Marketplace... and did not act on it because of the 4 hour drive... stupid, stupid...

Run the lathe, listen to the gears, shift the speeds and run a piece of stock large enough to stick out 6" and measure the diameter along the length. you can also bring a dial and attach it to the carriage and run it along the V is assess wear. If the lathes runs quiet and shifts, I'm guessing the wear is minimal as it isn't all that old. You should be able to verify if Taiwan or China but again, if it tests out, origin is less important. Dave

Just waiting on them to let me know if the guy, that is looking at it today at 1PM EST, buys it or not...

Once again kicking myself... I had seen this lathe several days back on Faccebook Marketplace... and did not act on it because of the 4 hour drive... stupid, stupid...
Never had a bad road trip , especially for equipment or tractors . :encourage: Hell , I made a 2 mile trip yesterday to look at some old Atlas's that turned into a 4 hour jaunt ! :big grin: It's a Tai lathe as stated on the headstock btw . Pack up the pick up and hit the road on this one !

Run the lathe, listen to the gears, shift the speeds and run a piece of stock large enough to stick out 6" and measure the diameter along the length. you can also bring a dial and attach it to the carriage and run it along the V is assess wear. If the lathes runs quiet and shifts, I'm guessing the wear is minimal as it isn't all that old. You should be able to verify if Taiwan or China but again, if it tests out, origin is less important. Dave
If I get the opportunity to buy it, I will do that. Thank you. But not getting my hopes high. It is a fair price and pretty sure that the guy in front of me will buy it...

A 14" lathe with tooling under 3K doesn't sound like a bad deal . If this is truly out of a working shop , the owner has already worked the bugs out of it which is good . Check for wear on the beds . The lathe itself looks identical to all these Tiawanese lathes , exactly like the Shop Fox I sold years back . Not sure of the price on a new PM 12" but this is worth a look in my book . YMMV .
I am spending US$6,401.00 on the PM1236 with the following (and I was going to add the 5C collect chuck as well). So if I can get this lathe for 3K that is 3.5K that I can use towards a larger (used) milling machine:

PM-1236-PEP PRECISION 12″X36″ LATHE with 2axDRO- this includes the following:
  • Welded Steel Stand
  • 6″ 3 Jaw Chuck with Inside and Outside Jaws
  • 8″ 4 Jaw Chuck with Reversible Jaws
  • 10″ Face Plate
  • Steady Rest
  • Follow Rest
  • Back Splash Guard
  • Inch and Metric Threading Capability
  • Thread Chasing Dial
  • Complete Steel Base with Chip Pan
  • 4 Way Tool Post
  • Dead Centers
  • Wedge Type Quick Change Tool Post Set with 5 Holders, (This set is BXA / 200 Size)
  • Clutch on Feed Rod, for use with Micrometer Carriage Stop *NEW*
  • Micrometer Carriage Stop
  • Foot Brake
  • Coolant System
  • L.E.D. Work Light
  • 2 axis Digital Readout, Installed on the machine
And with these added items/accessories :
  • BXA Master Turning/Boring Tool Set - they assured me that this was the correct one for my lathe...
  • 1/8-5/8 Ultra Precision Keyless Drill Chuck MT3
  • 8 - Leveling Pads
  • MT-3 Slim Body Live Center
  • ER-40 Adjustable Collet Chuck, D1-4 Mount
  • 15 Pc Precision Inch ER-40 Collet Set, 1/8″ to 1″
  • Shipping and Liftgate Delivery

Collets too! :encourage:
Yes!
Didn't see a closer but saw the drawbar , but if it's included , good deal . ;)
Yes, collects and draw bar for it is included...

If you can handle the size/weight, then I would have jumped on that.
Easy to get into the garage of the new house... three car garage where the single car side will be used for the mill and lathes... Easy to drive back into it to unload...

Last edited:
Never had a bad road trip , especially for equipment or tractors . :encourage: Hell , I made a 2 mile trip yesterday to look at some old Atlas's that turned into a 4 hour jaunt ! :big grin: It's a Tai lathe as stated on the headstock btw . Pack up the pick up and hit the road on this one !

That is why I am saying "stupid" "stupid" "stupid".... I drove from Orlando, FL to McKinney, Texas to pick up a 300.00 1967 John Deere 112 tractor... 4 hours in Florida is nothing!!

Back