Buying lathe, could use some input

JClen

Registered
Registered
I’m brand new to machining for all intent and purpose, I haven’t worked on a lathe since 1981. I feel the desire to start putting a machine shop together as I head into retirement. I could really use a sanity check before I head too far down the path.

To be totally honest, I didn’t realize that hobby grade equipment existed. I saw a video on YouTube of a guy that had a bench top sized lathe and mill, and it sent me scurrying to learn what was available. I started looking at 7” lathes, then on to bigger Grizzly’s and the settled on PM 1030 with DRO. I was just about to drive to Pittsburgh to pick it up, when I decided to slow down a bit and study. I have a lot on my plate right through the end of summer, so waiting until fall kinda makes sense.

As always happens, an “opportunity“ presented itself once I decided to wait a bit. Long winded, but here’s the question. A friend of mine has a lathe in the back of his shop, I saw it a couple weeks ago but didn’t think much of it. It’s not assembled and hasn’t worked for some time. He is willing to part with it cheap, and I wouldn’t mind the challenge of cleaning it up and putting it back into working order. It is a Millport 1440, seems not too popular as I couldn’t find much Information. Seems like a late eighties Taiwan lathe.

I rambled a bit, but would certainly appreciate opinions. The cost even with RPC would be less than half of the new ones that I’m considering and would have better capabilities. I really don’t have the experience to evaluate the condition of the lathe, there doesn’t seem to be a ton of wear, but I don’t know what I don’t know.

Thanks in advance!

John

The main problem you could have is missing or worn/damaged parts. When you say "it's not assembled", what specifically is taken apart? Was it broken down for repair, or moving?

The main problem you could have is missing or worn/damaged parts. When you say "it's not assembled", what specifically is taken apart? Was it broken down for repair, or moving?
I think mostly to lighten it for transport. The motor and most of the doors have been removed. My friend took it apart and he’s been a mechanic his whole life. I believe all parts to be there…

Check it out. Sounds like a reasonable possibility. Hard to judge visually, but check the electricals. There are guys here that can help with those, but just be aware. Look at the stand too. Some of those older Asian machines used cheap sheet metal stands. They work, but are not particularly stable. Of course, making a stand isn't too hard. I did that with my Taiwan 12x36.

The stand is pretty thick. I was surprised by that… the lathe and stand weigh 1350 pounds according to what I found. It’s nearly 1/4” thick.

So, $1000

That would be pretty close to top dollar for something you can’t run IMHO.

That said, if it’s in good condition it would be a steal at that price. What did your buddy pay for it (assuming he bought it but never got it running for some reason)?

Yes, a Taiwan built 1440 is about right for a hobbyist who wants to have professional capabilities.

John

So, $1000

That would be pretty close to top dollar for something you can’t run IMHO.

That said, if it’s in good condition it would be a steal at that price. What did your buddy pay for it (assuming he bought it but never got it running for some reason)?

Yes, a Taiwan built 1440 is about right for a hobbyist who wants to have professional capabilities.

John
He bought it as a project 10 years ago and never got to it. The price $500. Seems that I can’t go wrong for that price. I’ll post some pics to see if that sparks any problems.

Some pics…

IMG_4526.jpeg

IMG_4525.jpeg

IMG_4528.jpeg

IMG_4529.jpeg

IMG_4531.jpeg

IMG_4537.jpeg

If these photos are as it is now, it’s no where near as disassembled as I was thinking. Check the ways for wear and damage and run e hand wheels to see how they feel. It looks and sounds like a bargain to me! The only thing I didn’t see was a tool post. If the rest of lf the parts are there, I’d jump on it.

Yeah, that’s $500 all day long. There’s something interesting going on with the plate on the bed under the chuck but if you’re at all mechanically inclined you really can’t go wrong here.

John

Back