C3/SC3 & SC4 Faceplates..

GrifterGuru

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
An interesting incident ocurred recently...

I purchased, a long time ago, a faceplate for the lathe I am rebuilding but never had chance to use it before tearing the machine down. I pugged it away for safe keeping and when I looked for it recently could not find it, so decided to purchase a replacement, this time I purchased one intended for an SC4 since that has a 4" spindle nose as well.

Interestingly, it will only need a smidge of the diameter (a few thou') and makes full use and I do mean full use, of the entire 7" swing, but that is not the interesting thing.

The interesting thing is how much better the SC4 faceplate actually is. Not only is the mounting boss deeper, but it is a thicker casting and yes it is heavier too.

fp3.jpg fp4.jpg

The aside comes from after having ordered and received the SC4 faceplate, I went to look for a part for one of the Raleigh Choppers I am restoring, only to find the original faceplate in a box of bike parts!!! WTF it was doing there I have no idea, but it did give rise to the following comparison being possible...

A comparison of three faceplates...

C3/SC3 faceplate for 3" spindle on the left, Faceplate for 4" spindle nose on the right. Notice the difference in the slot lengths between these two..

fp1.jpg

And a comparison of the three together...

Faceplate for 4" nose on the left, SC4 Faceplate on the right, C3/SC3 faceplate at the bottom.

fp7.jpg fp2.jpg

One thing I do know... I will be keeping all of them for the time being as it means I can have setups on each faceplate without having to break one down if I need to machine something else using a faceplate.

Back