Cam-lock Tail Stock Conversion

Fabrickator

Active User
Registered
I wanted to upgrade my G0602 tail stock and so here's what I ended up doing. I started with a whim that maybe the Little Machine Shop kit may work. The lifting block and clamp work fine but the shaft & handle were too short, so I made a new one. I made a shaft extension that I bored and brazed the LMS kit shaft into it. Then I turned a new handle to match the Grizzly knobs and handles.

IMAG0502.jpg IMAG0503.jpg IMAG0507.jpg IMAG0525.jpg IMAG0536.jpg IMAG0538.jpg IMAG0540.jpg

Walltoddj

Active User
Registered
Slick that's what I need to make for my mini-lathe!

Todd

• :whiteflag:

Cadillac STS

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter
Here is what I did for a "Cam lock." Works great, less than quarter turn of the nut locks it or unlocks. Like always having the wrench on.

photo-4.jpg

First made the threaded nut and put it on before marking the exact perfect spot to drill and tap the hole for the handle.

Handle rod made from a 6 inch stainless bolt with the head cut off and that end also threaded.

photo-3.jpg

Function is exactly like the cam lock and this method works easier since the handle is right there and you don't need to reach up and behind to lock.

photo-4.jpg

photo-4.jpg

photo-3.jpg

photo-3.jpg

Mark_f

Registered
Registered
I like this. It is so simple I can't believe I couldn't figure that out. I want to do this to my south bend. It takes way less than a quarter turn to lock, but the darn wrench keeps falling off now and then. This will stop that.

Thanks for posting it,

Mark

sawlog

Registered
Registered
Great idea the threaded rod, on my Lathemaster I did something similar, first I installed a spring between the tail stock and the locking clamp, then cut down a inexpensive socket and welded a bolt to it that I put a knurled handle on. Mine is more 1/2 turn but works quite well.

GunsOfNavarone

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
So, Mr Fab, you purchased Little Machine shops kit and just made some mods to it? I really could use this mod and have played with it with a few different parts, space is so tight on the G0602 tail stock, you really must do it from backside as you did.

Rellortnoc

Registered
Registered
I took the top nut and lever from the original indexing tool post and made a lever lock for the tailstock. Just drilled out the nut and re-threaded it to M12 x 1.75. Works great. 1/4 turn is all that’s needed to set or loosen the TS. I planned to use washers of different thicknesses to position the lever, but didn‘t have to. It was perfectly positioned. Sure, id like to have a nice cam lock, but now I really don’t need it. And the lever is on the front for easy access.

Thanx to Cadillac STS for the idea!

Attachments

GunsOfNavarone

So to clarify, you took the original Grizzly tool post, tapped and threaded to match the tail stock's stud and you're good to go? I'd be plenty happy with that! I'll have to give that a shot tonight.

Rellortnoc

Registered
Registered
So to clarify, you took the original Grizzly tool post, tapped and threaded to match the tail stock's stud and you're good to go? I'd be plenty happy with that! I'll have to give that a shot tonight.
That’s it! I never used the included tool post. Went right to a QCTP. I used the original T nut for the QCTP. Just drilled and tapped it for the QCTP shaft. Kept me from having to mill another one. So I have the old tool post In the junk drawer. The cap nut and lever made my tail stock lock as in the picture above. Simple to drill and re-tap to the correct size. I think it was M12 x 1.75. And it looks nicer than anything I could have made.

hman

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter
I did something kinda similar, but a bit more crude, with my 9x20. Found a combination wrench that fit, cut off the open end, and used a wooden wedge (held in place with a magnet) to retain the wrench. Pretty easy to "clock" the wrench (or re-clock it if there's wear) - just pull out the wedge, reposition, return the wedge.
kHPIM2930.jpg

kHPIM2931.jpg

hman

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter
It was used as a "trailer hitch," to allow using the carriage to drive the tailstock for deep drilling. The photos show a #10 screw. I later changed to a ¼" screw with a Dremel ground partial undercut on the side of the the shank - to form a small "hook" that would more positively stay inside the T-slot of the slide.
kHPIM2579.jpg

kHPIM2581.jpg

GunsOfNavarone

Yeah...I have the old tool post cap/handle. Just gotta drill and tap it. It's a shallow blind hole, seems like you'd need a flat/non tapered tap to do this @Rellortnoc ? I feel like I'd bottom out and only thread about half the cap?

GunsOfNavarone

So I went ahead and drilled/tapped old tool post, shortened the bolt a couple threads that runs through the locking plate. I got it to a point where in the most commonly used area along ways, it locks and unlocks. One interesting thing, and I don't know if anyone has this issue, it wont tighten enough to lock the TS at the first 5 or so inches to the right side of ways. Anyone else run into this?

Tozguy

Active User
One interesting thing, and I don't know if anyone has this issue, it wont tighten enough to lock the TS at the first 5 or so inches to the right side of ways. Anyone else run into this?
Yes I have. Others have also reported the same observation. My cam lock is set to work best in the area where it is most frequently used. However, when the TS is parked at the extreme tail end of the ways the cam goes over center. The cam could be adjusted to work everywhere but I prefer to have the cam at around 11 o'clock when it is working.

GunsOfNavarone

Yeah, I really don’t need to lock it in that far right position...so no biggie. I’m happy, thanks for the idea!

It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock