Came into some unexpected cash, any current Tormach users here?

GunsOfNavarone

Registered
Registered
I surprisingly came across this Tormach section, but it appears to be dead. Are there any current Tormach users here? I have my finger on a hair trigger to purchase the PCNC-440. Had a long talk with someone there last week, they are big on up-selling BTW. I watched a lot of youtubes..many for the machine, almost as many against it. Is it a solid purchase? I am unsure of all the add on...what is necessary. I like the idea of the TTS, but how extensive do I need to go with that? Probes, THEIR touch screen...etc.

I dont have any experience with Tormach but I know there are a few on here with machines from Tormach......

After seeing this video I dont think I'm going to ever buy one.... but I also just converted a Bridgeport to CNC.....

I've got an 1100 series 3 and am happy with it. RJ on this site has a 770.

I can't tell you anything about a 440, but there are some active owners at cnczone.com.

All of my tool holders are genuine Tormach (have close to 70). There are some knockoffs out there for less.

My electronic tool setter is a Tormach, got it off eBay for $75 which was a steal compared to new from Tormach. Many guys use Chinese knockoffs for a fraction of the price. After all, a tool setter is just a momentary spring loaded switch.

My passive probe is a Wildhorse econo-probe. My only issue with it was the arbor was poorly machined so the "guts" housing only threaded on with maybe a quarter of a thread. Had to be really careful touching the housing or it'd fly apart. I remade the plate so it's good now. Naturally not a Tormach issue.

The machines are what they are, not heavy industrial metal hoggers. Best suited for 3/8" or smaller tooling max. It does give you a turnkey CNC HOBBY mill. They are not suited for all day every day production work. I bought mine a year ago from a guy running a small side business. His boss offered him machine time on weekends to run his stuff on their Haas. One of his parts took 20 minutes on the Tormach, less than 3 on the Haas.

I have a CNC Bridgeport too, no comparison between the two for mass or hogging capability. But the Tormach works for my puttering around.

You can go to Tormach's site and sign up at the Pathpilot hub to program and run a machine virtually. I use it all of the time to debug my code as my shop is 50 yards from our house.

Like I mentioned above, hop over to cnczone for a larger sample size of active users.

Bruce

Don't know how close these are to Lakewood, but a few Craig's List listings in your general locale.

Bruce

Grizzly G0704 style mill running CNC - $4500

Home-brewed 1100 sized mill for $4400. Owner converted so you'd be on your own for support (running Mach 3)

Nicely tooled Tormach 1100 S3 - asking $15,000

Tormach 770M - asking $15,500

I just bought a used Tormach 1100 series 3. Used for about 4 years by a well capitalized small local firm. They own several Tormachs and at least 3 haas machines and don't run any all that hard. I chose this over a hard head CNC Bridgeport with a Centroid retrofit. Tormach and Centroid each have very active user groups, with Centroid is probably doing more than Tormach as they host and monitor their own user group. CNCZone is a good website for all things CNC including Tormach.

I've had mine for about 2 weeks and haven't cut any metal yet. I have done some wood as I learn. I have been doing some maintenance, setting up air, buck booster, etc. I measured lost motion yesterday. Z and Y axis are each .001 and .0012 respectively with z axis at .0008. So, I'm happy given this is a used machine and there isn't much info on Tormach accuracy other than the internet haters. Of course, those numbers aren't a guarantee of actual performance.

I have a full enclosure and that is a huge plus for me. My shop gets dirty on its own just fine. Power drawbar is important but I don't think available on the 440. Tool setter touch probe is nice but unnecessary. Tormach has a video showing 3 ways to measure tool length. All the other stuff is mostly available as after purchase add-on or used.

Tormach tts is expensive but is held in place by an R8 collet so these are also R8 machines (without the same tool length repeatability). Touch screen would be worthless for me - it would be all dirty finger prints. With Covid, there are waterproof keyboards for sale all over the net for cheap.

The decision for me came down to full enclosure (like all modern cncs) and resale value - Tormach seems to hold value more than Bridgeport CNC conversions due to wider audience and smaller size.

I just came across this vid. that was quite interesting

.<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
@Cooter Brown I did see that video, things he said made me write it off partially, but there is some good info in it.
Capabilities (SS, Titanium) are must haves.
That’s great info @BGHansen Tormack can make a 6k machine $12k real quickly with the add ones. I’d like to keep the machine under 7k with zero add ones...just to get started. The G0704 conversion is interesting, but I fear of the backlash on that machine, I know on my PM727m the X axis is a nightmare to keep somewhat low. I may have a phone call with him, we’ll see but NEW & made to be CNC is appealing.
Space is limited, I can’t get a used HAAS, even if it was a steal, there is a comparable unit by LEADING EDGE TECHNOLOGY, but every video on you tube is theirs...don’t find much else out there.

Sounds like the Craigslist person with the G704 with Cnc conversion did double ball screws, but he is trading up to a Tormach! Not a good sign...

I just came across this vid. that was quite interesting

.<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I watched the video, pretty much after he introduced the Haas guy, as I know almost nothing about CNC, they could have been talking Chinese. I see CNC machinery constantly and what they can do is amazing, but its like magic, awe inspiring, no clue how its done.

There are a few of us. I have had a 770 series 3 since December, 2011. I bought mine with the stand, the flood coolant setup, the jog shuttle, the TTS system and the Tool Assistant. I also bought their computer and SprutCAM and the 4th axis. I did not get the power drawbar, the ATC, or the full enclosure. I also provided my pwn monitor, mouse, and keyboard

If I had a choice, I would go with the 770 over the 440. It's much more machine. Larger work envelope, 33% more horsepower, more mass.

As to the good, the bad, and the ugly, Tormach has had some problems. I suspect that is true of most machines when it comes down to the nitty gritty. Many of the issues that I have encountered along with some fixes are documented on this forum. From what I have seen on other sites, the PDB and ATC have some issues. I have neither so no problem there. My Tormach computer was defective from the start and To4rmach replaced it. I had to replace my spindle cartridge early on due to a bearing failure. The replacement cartridge had a runout issue that most likely would have been corrected during machine QC had it been installed on a machine. There were some shady electrical connections that shouldn't have been. I have had to replace a failed capacitor in the coolant pump and a failed fan in the cabinet. The OEM homing system is not very accurate and I added an optical homing system to my machine.

The Tormach machines are not in a class with industrial machines but that said, there are dozens, if not hundreds, of users who are successfully using Tormach machines for every day production work. On Facebook, there are two groups, Tormach Users, and Tormach Opera6tors, where you will find a lot of shared experiences. Tormach machines, IMO, will not hold sub thou tolerances routinely. However, the owner of a local CNC job shop who had more than twenty years experience as an aerospace machinist had told me one time that he would not guarantee hold tolerances better than +/-.002". (He did on everything we had him do but he wouldn't guarantee it.)

Back