Camjack Knurler

WOW! Has it really been seven months since my promised post? SORRY! I LOVE my Camjack Knurler. I have done some extensive testing with it using 96DPI straight knurls from Accu-Trak on 3/4 inch dia. 12L14 steel. My light 7X14 minilathe has been accurized and rigidized, but is still too flimsy to support axial movement under lathe power without the dreaded doubling. Doubling requires a lot of rolling to work out of the stock which creates needle debris that embeds in the workpiece and the user's fingers (think of how thin sheet metal fractures when folded back and forth across a crease.) The knurl\workpiece interface is so shrouded by the arms holding them that debris cannot be brushed out as the work rotates.

I have worked out a procedure I call "Knurling by the Knumbers" which I do manually and which produces sharp, fully-formed knurls with zero debris. I will post the results as soon as I learn how to post pics, hopefully the 10th.

Jayman

O.K. Here goes. To save time (I'm at my local library) I formatted the results at home as a picture. Hope it loads. Failed. Try pdf format file. Looks like it loaded OK.

Attachments

• Camjack Knurler summary.pdf
    729.1 KB · Views: 116
Thanks for posting your excellent write-ups. I'm glad the knurler is working for you. I recently found the same thing regarding the right amount of pressure to cause or prevent double-tracking.

So, I started building one using the plans, thanks for sharing them.

I noticed that I don't have a 3/16 ball mill for the fulcrum. I do, however, have 1/8 and 1/4. Any reason not to use one of them and the matching size fulcrum?

I have been wrapped in my copy since I made it.
Most of my knurling is in stainless so really needs a bit of pressure.
The high tensile bolts I originally used wore down considerably from these pressures so hardened pins are I believe a necessity.
I also added an arm support on the middle between the two arms with a large flange to help prevent the arms from deflecting sideways from the pressure I've been knurling at.
camjack-knurler2.jpg

Thanks for sharing the design! I got mine finished up and, per the rules of DIY tools, used it to make a part for itself. I couldn't believe how little force I needed, the thumb screw was plenty.

The knurling came out great, even with the wheels that came with the QCTP set. I'll order some nice wheels if I use it frequently.

Nicely done. I'm glad you like it. I can see that your thumb screw would have plenty of authority. Mine uses a SHCS, but most times, I just turn it by hand.

Back