Can any one tell me what lathe I've picked up

RHayden2k

R. Hayden
Registered
Hi, I'm new hear and I need to identify this lathe that I acquired last summer. It is in poor shape but it was inexpensive and I figured it would be a good project to get familiar with lathes. It has a 9 in. swing and aprox. 17 in. bed. They covered most of the rust with a coat of black paint.

I did find the remains of a ID tag on the tail stock end of the the bed. I remains unreadable so far, and I don't expect that to change.

The lead screw is really coated with hardened grease and I found the half nut broken, which I will need to replace, as well as some of the smaller parts in the head.

Any help in the ID would really be appreciated.

Bob

100_9987 A.jpg100_9989 A.jpg100_9988 A.jpg100_9990 A.jpg100_9992 A.jpg100_9993 A.jpgIMG_0002 A.jpgIMG_0008 A.jpgIMG_0010 A.jpg100_9996 A.jpg

100_9987 A.jpg 100_9989 A.jpg 100_9988 A.jpg 100_9990 A.jpg 100_9992 A.jpg 100_9993 A.jpg IMG_0002 A.jpg IMG_0008 A.jpg IMG_0010 A.jpg 100_9996 A.jpg

It's a craftsman 109 lathe made by the Ann Arbor company also called AA.

Check ebay for parts. They show up on a regular basis. You can search it two ways, "Craftsman 109 Lathe or Craftsman AA Lathe"

"Billy G"

Tare you go buying anything you should look it over and try to figure out what parts need replacing. Did you get the rest of the gears or anything else with the lathe? I have a 109 myself and have looked at the prices for some parts and they could quickly add up to more then I paid for the lathe. They don't have the best reputation and that may influence the lathes value. I'm not saying to not fix it but you should be aware of this before you go getting in too deep. If you are just getting into this hobby you can learn on it but may want a larger lathe after awhile. With everything I read about them I thought it would be useless but it seems a lot of people either exaggerate the lathes weaknesses or are just repeating what they have heard. It will work to make smaller parts but it does take some extra attention to how you do things. It is a six inch swing with about 12" length I don't remember the exact length off hand. There's a website called deansphotografia or something similar where he goes over some modifications to the lathe.

I’m pretty sure that lathe is a 6” swing. And I have a few parts laying around. PM me if you are interested…Good Luck, Dave.

It's a 109.20630. When reassembling the apron watch out for the ball bearing that detents the half nut ON or OFF, it has a hefty spring behind it.

Have fun with your new toy :))

EDIt:
On second look, your halfnut lever is in the wrong spot. it should be on the right side of the apron, so the holes in the halfnut lever and the blind hole in the back side of the apron line up, there should be a spring and ball bearing in there. It's obvious they are lost, I'd drill that hole clean through, tap it, and thread a bolt through to lock the halfnut lever up or down. You'll have to forcefuly hold it down when threading, though.

There is no need to drill anything out . Just move the handle to the correct position and add the ball and spring for the lock. It's not that big of a deal. I had one of those lathes and gave it to a friend. It is a good starter lathe.

"Billy G"

If you give me the dia. and depth of the hole in the apron I will send you the correct ball and spring. Why butcher a good lathe.

There is no need to drill anything out . Just move the handle to the correct position and add the ball and spring for the lock. It's not that big of a deal. I had one of those lathes and gave it to a friend. It is a good starter lathe.

"Billy G"

If you give me the dia. and depth of the hole in the apron I will send you the correct ball and spring. Why butcher a good lathe.

When your halfnut starts to wear, sometimes it will disengage during a heavy cut. Having the ability to lock it wouldn't be a bad idea in my opinion. If he did a good job of it, it's not butchering. Rather, a creative modification :biggrin:

Call it what you will. IMHO it is not needed. On that lathe you will not be making a heavy enough cut to have the half nut kick out. That half nut is one piece. Upper and Lower are integral. They engage by rolling in and disengage the same way. When one hits the other follows. That's why the pivot is in the center of the two. As I said I owned one of these and kick out was never an issue. Also, if you do away with the ability of them from disengaging what else might break instead. The ball and spring are there to limit the damage. A bolt will not.

"Billy G"

Call it what you will. IMHO it is not needed. On that lathe you will not be making a heavy enough cut to have the half nut kick out. That half nut is one piece. Upper and Lower are integral. They engage by rolling in and disengage the same way. When one hits the other follows. That's why the pivot is in the center of the two. As I said I owned one of these and kick out was never an issue. Also, if you do away with the ability of them from disengaging what else might break instead. The ball and spring are there to limit the damage. A bolt will not.

"Billy G"

I have a 109 also, use it almost daily for small things. My halfnut kicks out during a "heavy" cut. I have to hold it down when threading, or there goes the nice thread.....

VERY good point about the damage limiting factor. Didn't think of that.

Back