Can anyone ID this grinder?

Lucas E

Registered
Registered
Can anyone identify this old grinder? Looks like it's an older tool grinder. I won't be able to see it for another few weeks, but am interested do to its small size. I'm curious what bearings wouldve been in the spindle and if it could be cleaned up to be moderately precise.

Attachments

• IMG_20211209_211836_632.jpg
    IMG_20211209_211836_632.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 158
no clue but I think it's interesting. it's got a long bed for it's size. so it can' handle a larger magnetic chuck.
I like the attachment that's mounted.

without knowing this would be a guess. I'm betting it has got a bronze bearing. What makes you think it isn't precise now? Did the owner say it was sloppy? I would worry more about the table ways, or bearings. A cool little machine , price will make it or break it.

Looks like it is missing the bottom cabinet.

no clue but I think it's interesting. it's got a long bed for it's size. so it can' handle a larger magnetic chuck.
I like the attachment that's mounted.

without knowing this would be a guess. I'm betting it has got a bronze bearing. What makes you think it isn't precise now? Did the owner say it was sloppy? I would worry more about the table ways, or bearings. A cool little machine , price will make it or break it.
Ya, I'm worried that it might be bronze sleeved, or even worse plain cast iron bearings. The owner didn't mention it was sloppy, but to me it just looks like an older unit that probably isn't a precise as the more modern ones. Mostly due to bearing design.

Ya, I'm worried that it might be bronze sleeved, or even worse plain cast iron bearings. The owner didn't mention it was sloppy, but to me it just looks like an older unit that probably isn't a precise as the more modern ones. Mostly due to bearing design.
actually a bronze bearing can be more precise than a roller bearing. A roller will be very expensive to be that precise.
there's no rollers, or balls to make noise, give tiny imperceptable to humans the change in location.. A bronze bearing doesn't move, it just sits there. Over time it can become loose, but many times there are adjustments to bring it back to spec a few timesit

Edit: Mine has bronze bearings. It has an adjustment plate that lets you push the spindle further in. The spindle is a large taper and the plates seats it further in.
I would be more concerned with how much wear the bed ways have.
Also what are you using it for. Are you doing work to the 10ths, or mil? If you are a hobbiest, this may meet your goals.
I would love to have that bed, it's nice and long, I would have been able to put a longer chuck on it. I had to get creative to do a 14" long piece.

Last edited:
Yes, but bronze has to have more clearance left in for oiling. With a roller bearing you can preload the bearings to almost zero clearance. Yes, they're expensive but so is everything in the machining world lol.

You do realize that oil is not compressible? That's why it is used for hydraulics, and our spindle oils are hydraulic oils..
The most accurate machines were made with bronze bearings I'm pretty sure for the reasons I mentioned.

But if you have your heart set on a ball bearing unit, then you should look for one.

You do realize that oil is not compressible? That's why it is used for hydraulics, and our spindle oils are hydraulic oils..
The most accurate machines were made with bronze bearings I'm pretty sure for the reasons I mentioned.

But if you have your heart set on a ball bearing unit, then you should look for one.
I do, and I understand your theory, but can you show me a new high precision grinder that uses bronze bearings? I think they all use roller bearings. If bronze is cheaper and more accurate then wouldn't all new grinders have bronze bearings?

Back