[4]

can anyone identify this model?

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

rambin

Registered
well the tailstock is painted and back together using the parts I had for now... it works fine most of the issues are cosmetic. and I will deal with them in the long run. a new day is a new issue though im finding my head stock pulley is spinning on the spindle and it doesn't matter how tight I put that set screw (part 193 in the pic) I cant get it to stop spinning when under load. hoping someone can give me a pic of the proper set screw? im thinking the one pictured is probly wrong? I don't remember there being a detent in the spindle for a screw to grab? but its been awhile since I had it out.

Attachments

wa5cab

Downloads Moderator
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
I'm not that familiar with Logans but if you had an Atlas I'd say that you are about to severely hurt something. Judging from the section view drawing that you attached, my guess is that you have the direct drive pin (245) pulled out (disengaged). If I'm not misreading the drawing, you pull that pin out prior to engaging Back Gear, because the pulley must turn much faster than the bull gear with the back gears engaged. In direct drive the pulley and bull gear turn at the same speed, with the pin engaged and the back gears disengaged. With both engaged, of course the spindle is locked.

Mr Mike

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Call and ask Logan...

Last edited:

wa5cab

Downloads Moderator
Staff member
OK. Then it's the same as on the Atlas machines.

Rambin, that's your problem. Push the direct drive pin in (you have to rotate the pulley to align the hole or holes in the pulley with the pin in the bull gear).

rambin

Registered
I know about the pin on the bull gear and when I pull it out to release the bull gear from the cone pulley is when im having this issue... if you look at the picture the set screw is there to hold the cone pulley on the spindle....its not holding soon as I load the assembly (a tool bit touching workpiece) the spindle slips from the pulley... im sure this set screw is there to lock the cone pulley to the spindle. there is another set screw on the next bigger pulley step to add lubrication but this one is there to lock it..check out the parts diagram ive posted

Asm109

Registered
You have to engage the back gears with the pin pulled out. In back gear the power flow goes like this:

Belt pulley to small gear at back end of belt pulleys
Small gear to Large gear on back gear shaft.
Small gear on back gear shaft to Bull gear.
Bull gear to spindle through key.

In High gear the power flow is:

Belt pulley through slideable pin to Bull gear
Bull gear to spindle through key.

rambin

Registered
your right... I was looking at it totally wrong...I think im ok now.... thought I was going to have too pull that spindle out again.. wasn't a fun project last time! I do have to do it eventually so I can paint the gearbox but hopin to hold off till spring

wa5cab

Downloads Moderator
Staff member
Again, when you pull out the direct drive pin, the pulley MUST rotate freely. You then engage the back gears. That is its function.

I've no real idea what the purpose of the screw in the smaller pulley is but locking the pulley to the spindle is definitely not one of them.

rambin

Registered
ya I got it now just got a lil confusered there for a bit....

rambin

Registered
wondering if I could get someone with the same lathe to take that set screw out of the headstock pulley (shown in pics above) and take a picture of it...my pulley has a little bit of side to side play which makes a noise when the lathe is running... thinking if that screw touched the spindle as it should that wouldn't happen.... thinking someone has put the wrong screw in there at somepoint. I can move the pulley side to side by hand...took a video of it but not sure I can post videos on here?...few seconds of video is like 60mb so im sure that wont work

wa5cab

Downloads Moderator
Staff member
No. I am afraid that you are still confused. End float of the pulley should be .003 to .005, adjusted by loosening the set screw in the bull gear and moving the bull gear. If the second screw in the pulley were touching the spindle, you would ruin the spindle, break teeth off of the back gears. stall the motor, or any combination of those the first time that you engaged back gears. The pulley MUST be free to spin on the spindle when you pull out the direct drive pin.

rambin

Registered
yes you are right I undid the set screw in the bull gear slid it sideways prbly 3/16 tight as I could get it too the pullery and reset the set screw... theres still a bit of movement side to side in the pully but that's the best I could get...

wa5cab

Downloads Moderator
Staff member
The pulley does have to have running clearance between it and the bull gear, because it spins at about 6X the RPM of the spindle when in back gear.

3/16" sure sounds like a lot of clearance. Unless someone misadjusted it. When you engage the back gears, how well does the bull gear match up to the small back gear?

rambin

Registered
I moved the bull gear reset the screw think were all good now.. there is still a little bit of clearance. seems to be running ok

rambin

Registered
well its a lil over a year from bringing this anchor home, Ive spent plenty of time taking it a part painting it and putting it back together, changed a few parts, half nuts, cross slide bolt and nut way adjustment nuts and screws, a new rubber drive belt and put a bigger motor on it.. figured id post some pics of where its at now, that ugly green paint is gone! I only rattlecanned the paint back on not like some of that nice epoxy work you guys do.. still wanting a 3 jaw... heres the latest pics... 2nd pic is of a marking I found on it well I was painting not sure what it Is?20180802_173354.jpg20180904_134812.jpg
and as you can see I did a little bit of work on the table that came with it as well... its still ugly but paint and drawers can only cure so much

rambin

Registered
so does anyone have any idea on that cf stamp might be all about? that was just the primer coat on in that pic,

dlane

Active User
The set screws in the cone pulley should be for lube, on my SB 10L that’s what there for, they are just plugs .

CluelessNewB

Active Resistor
I suspect the CF is just a foundry identification mark.

rambin

Registered
ahh ok I had never seen anyone mention it here on the forum so I was curious

[6]
[5] [7]