Can Guide Lines be saved ?

Arthur-UK

Registered
Registered
I have just started using TouchDRO, recently installed 3 scales on a Mini MIll.
The first real job was to mill a rectangular cutout in a panel for a rocker switch.
So I used:
dro-manual/working-with-guides.html

Following the second example on that page I set up two Vert & two Horz guide lines to define the cutout.
It would be useful to be able to save these as say "switch-cutout" for later recall - can this be done ?

I did have some trouble saving the tool offset, I went to the menu with the 3x3 matrix of tool positions, picked one, saved it.
When I went back to the main screen it had not used the newly saved offset, so i go back to the menu and its showing other than what I had saved.
Of course like all software you try it again and it does the same ! Is this a bug in me or the App ?

The next build (that I'm currently testing) has a new implementation of guide lines. They are now treated as one-dimensional sub-datum coordinates. I.e. they will show up in the sub-datum list, can be slected and delted from there, etc. (the old way of adding and selecting still works).

I can't think of a reason the tool offset would behave this way, though. It's all stored in one place (regardless of how you set/manipulate it), so it should not be cleared when you switch between views. If you can figure out the steps to reproduce this, I'll fix it (it would definitely be a bug).

Regards
Yuriy

Yuriy, I am on a learning curve !
So basically the set of four lines cant be saved, but I could recall the co-ords.
I'll try and document the tool position issue.

Regards

Arthur

Yuriy, I am on a learning curve !
So basically the set of four lines cant be saved, but I could recall the co-ords.
I'll try and document the tool position issue.

Regards

Arthur
Arthur,
In the current build(s), you can manipulate the guide lines only from the graphical view display. They are saved with the workspace (or at least should be).
In the new build all of the current functionality will still be there, but the guides will also show up in the sub-datum list, and will be stored in a different place. Functionally, the only difference is that you will see them in the list and will be able to select/edit/delete from the list.

Looking forward to the tool offset issue description.

Thank you
Yuriy

Yuriy, I milled another cutout and had the same problem with the offset selection, see pics 1 to 3.
Also another issue, the Y axis changed its position on the screen suddenly while I was machining, fortunately I had marked out the plate so I followed the markings and ignored the screen. This might have been an interference problem since it happened while running (Its an inverter driven Brushless motor).
The Scales & Tablet are powered from a separate mains 5V supply. Next time I'll power them from a battery pack to see if it eliminates mains born transients.
I am making a new control box for the Mill, with a few extras.

Regards

Arthur

Attachments

• THREE 20231214_135937.jpg
    THREE 20231214_135937.jpg
    369.4 KB · Views: 41
  • TWO 20231214_135926.jpg
    TWO 20231214_135926.jpg
    392.3 KB · Views: 35
  • ONE 20231214_135859.jpg
    ONE 20231214_135859.jpg
    397.9 KB · Views: 41
  • 20231214_185153 Panel.jpg
    20231214_185153 Panel.jpg
    569.7 KB · Views: 38
Arthur,
What type of scales are you using? Glass/magnetic, or capacitive?

As far as the tool offset, you have the auto-offset turned on in the graphical view, and the top guide is turned on. If you tapped the guide after the initial setting, the cutter is supposed to move. This is what the auto-offset function is for. Or am I misunderstanding this?

Regards
Yuriy

Shahe capacitive scales.
Offset - I set cutter bottom-left thats where the cutter was for the start, the graphical view shows it below the origin, and so does the third pic when I switched back. I expected it to stay in the bottom-left. Why is it changing ?

Shahe capacitive scales.
Offset - I set cutter bottom-left thats where the cutter was for the start, the graphical view shows it below the origin, and so does the third pic when I switched back. I expected it to stay in the bottom-left. Why is it changing ?
Sorry, I'm really confused :(
Judging by the file names, the screeshot in the file that ends in 5859 is the initial setting.
The one that ends in 5926 is next, so it looks like you switched to the graphical view. There you have the auto tool selection turned on, and the horizontal guide is activated. This will change the offset, so the cutting edge is facing the guide. Looks like this is that TouchDRO did.
The cutter offset didn't move to lower left because nothing made it move there. The horizontal guide affected only the Y offset (changing it from negative to positive).
When you got back to the tool offset dialog, the offset matches the last state it was in (lower right).

What am I missing?

Regards
Yuriy

Sorry, I'm really confused :(
Judging by the file names, the screeshot in the file that ends in 5859 is the initial setting.
The one that ends in 5926 is next, so it looks like you switched to the graphical view. There you have the auto tool selection turned on, and the horizontal guide is activated. This will change the offset, so the cutting edge is facing the guide. Looks like this is that TouchDRO did.
The cutter offset didn't move to lower left because nothing made it move there. The horizontal guide affected only the Y offset (changing it from negative to positive).
When you got back to the tool offset dialog, the offset matches the last state it was in (lower right).

What am I missing?

Regards
Yuriy
Oh, are you saying that you expect the auto offset to be turned off when you manually set the direction?

Back