Can i fit a 8" 4 jaw on my logan 11"?

Two things that help. Always spin the chuck by hand before turning on the power. And always set your carriage stop so that nothing can move into strike position while it's running. No carriage stop? Add it to your project list. Too useful not to have.

I have an 8" 4 jaw on my 10" south Bend and have never had a problem. I don't ever recall having to get my carriage under the chuck for any reason and it isn't so much that you can get almost the same capacity out of a 6 inch it is that you have to have the jaws that much further out of the chuck to grab a large object. It all has to do with overloading the capacity of the work holding device. When putting the chuck on and off it is advisable to put a piece of say 3/8 or 1/2 inch plywood on the ways so as to not ding them up if you should happen to slip and if weight is a problem (as it is with all of us old timers) I put a small block and tackle set up from the ceiling right over my lathe so I can lift whatever I want up to the spindle or chuck.
Tom B

Two things that help. Always spin the chuck by hand before turning on the power. And always set your carriage stop so that nothing can move into strike position while it's running. No carriage stop? Add it to your project list. Too useful not to have.
Thanks,
Will any carriage stop fit my logan 11' lathe?
Thanks again,
jon

Thanks,
Will any carriage stop fit my logan 11' lathe?
Thanks again,
jon

Any carriage stop you make will fit the lathe. Not hard to make. I made mine from a piece of 3/4" square aluminum bar, with a notch to fit the V on the front of the lathe bed. It has a 3/8" hole with a setscrew for a dial indicator and a solid stop.
PB130011a.jpg

PB130011a.jpg

Back