Can i fit a 8" 4 jaw on my logan 11"?

O

ome

Forum Guest
Register Today
Hi guys,
I just got my 6 inch 3 jaw on the lathe, and measuring, it looks very close for a 8 inch when the apron and saddle is brought up close to the spindle.
I had wanted a 6", but buck co stopped making a 6" with reversible top jaws, only solid jaws.
Any advice as always is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
jon

I'll give you a good, solid......maybe. The decision should probably include some thought about how far the jaws will protrude when chucking something of a reasonable diameter for an 8" chuck. Try not to focus strictly on the body of the chuck.

On my 11" Rockwell I only use 6" chucks. That is not to say an 8" wont fit and wouldnt work but the carriage hits an 8" chuck body and I dont like not being able to get the carriage under the chuck.

On my 11" Rockwell I only use 6" chucks. That is not to say an 8" wont fit and wouldnt work but the carriage hits an 8" chuck body and I dont like not being able to get the carriage under the chuck.
If i were to settle on a 6" 4 jaw without reversible jaws, is that make a huge difference?
thanks
jon

There was a similar thread on this site a couple of weeks ago with a lot of good feedback. To answer your question; yes, you can fit a 8" chuck on your 11" Logan. Not sure you will like the results though. As pointed out you may be restricted on the distance the chuck jaws can stick out past the body. Another consideration is weight of the chuck. An 8" chuck weighs considerably more than a 6". How do I know this? I have a 6" three jaw and an 8" four jaw for my 12 x 36 lathe. It won't be long before I'll need some sort of lifting assistance to change out the four jaw. The four jaw weighs nearly twice the 3 jaw.

Good luck in your search for a new chuck. There are many to choose from that will meet your needs.

Tom S

I have a 8" 4-jaw on my 9" SBL. It has served well over the years I've ran it. But it is a very light duty chuck which is perfect for the 9". Never had a problem with the jaws hitting the bed ways, come close though!

But not all 8" chucks are the same. Get a old school Cushman 8" chuck, with heavy thick jaws, you would not even think of putting that on a 9" lathe. 11" Logan, it might work. Some of these 8" 4-jaw import chucks should work fine on a 11" lathe. They appear to be of a light to medium duty use.

I believe in putting the largest chuck you can on your lathe. But the jaws can create problems if not thought out thoroughly.

I have a 8" 4-jaw on my 9" SBL. It has served well over the years I've ran it. But it is a very light duty chuck which is perfect for the 9". Never had a problem with the jaws hitting the bed ways, come close though!

But not all 8" chucks are the same. Get a old school Cushman 8" chuck, with heavy thick jaws, you would not even think of putting that on a 9" lathe. 11" Logan, it might work. Some of these 8" 4-jaw import chucks should work fine on a 11" lathe. They appear to be of a light to medium duty use.

I believe in putting the largest chuck you can on your lathe. But the jaws can create problems if not thought out thoroughly.

+1 Here.

I have a SB Heavy 10.
I have an "old school" Cushman 6 inch chuck, and I have to hold it really well to get it on the spindle carefully. HEAVY.
I had a sweet 8 inch 4 Jaw, made by SOUL, from Japan. HEAVY. I sold it. It was just such a deterrent to put it on, and it was so big. I thought I might find a use for it once in a while, but then you have to watch the carriage and even the lathe ways when the jaws are opened wide!!

Bernie

My logan 11 came with an 8" chuck. It fits, but barely. As everyone already pointed out you don't really get any increase in capacity due to jaw stick out issues.

So its heavier, harder to get on/off and doesn't get you anything.

Good question, its been my experience if you open any chuck to where the jaws extend passed the outside diameter of the chuck body and the jaws don't hit the ways then I would use it. You can screw the compound slide in as far as it can go then move the tool post to the leading edge. I have setup a few jobs this way. Usually the part isn't very long but wide. Likely a steel plate that needs boring. Good luck

I have an 8 inch Cushman on my 9X20. It has no issues at all.

"Billy G"

Back