Can I make a good knurl pattern in steel with only one knurling wheel?

My tool is a straight knurl like what you have in the op. I dont know what the pitch is or how it will fit in a 2" circumference but looks close to what you have by visual comparison. I am happy to lend if if you want to try it just LMK

Knurling takes a lot of pressure, not matter how you slice it. Doing it by hand requires something to multiply your strength and the part and tool must rotate relative to each other. The hand knurler linked above will do the job, but you must have 3 knurling rolls and enough stock to clamp in a vise (or similar) while you knurl. Plain rolls will simply flatten the knurl. I have done very coarse straight knurling with a single roll on my SB Heavy 10. The amount of pressure required was scary. Won't do it again.
A little of topic, butI agree: it takes a lot more force than you might think, particularly if you have a larger lathe and a good quality scissors-style knurler. I picked this bad boy (quality shop-made 1/4" – 2" HD Hand Knurler) up on eBay early last year:

Hand Knurler.jpg

I tested it out on a piece of 3/8" drill rod, and the closest I could get to the end was~5/8":

Knurled 3_8 Drill Rod.jpg

It took a lot of oomph, both to tighten down on the rod and to rotate the knurler: no wonder people have spindle bearing issues on mini lathes, particularly if they try using the push knurlers that come with many starter tool holder kits:

Push Knurler.jpeg

For a one-off, I think @derf has the best advise: use a checkering file (or just a tri-corner needle file and take your time).

When using the indexing feature you don't need to use a file. You cut the knurls with a tool bit. In the picture below I used a boring bar to cut the knurls because of clearance issues. You move the carriage back and forth. Only takes one pass back and forth to cut the knurl. Also by using the carriage all of the knurls are straight. It goes really quick.

IMG_4013.JPG

When using the indexing feature you don't need to use a file. You cut the knurls with a tool bit. In the picture below I used a boring bar to cut the knurls because of clearance issues. You move the carriage back and forth. Only takes one pass back and forth to cut the knurl. Also by using the carriage all of the knurls are straight. It goes really quick.

View attachment 422268
If I use my lathe's indexing feature, I will have to file, because of the type of lathe I'm using.

I made this using only 1 of the knurling wheels in my knurler on the lathe. It was a happy accident as I didn't realize the height adjustment was off.

Attachments

• 20200410 01.jpg
    20200410 01.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 15
Back