Can I start a thread with a plug tap?

What can I do to start the tap easily?

Turn it to the left.... Kidding aside, plug taps are what you get if you don't special order something else. I've had a couple of taper taps over the years, I don't think I own any at the moment. It's something I only get on an as needed basis, as plug taps are pretty much good from start to finish, unless you've got a particular need. Plug taps start fine. A little chamfer, countersink, or even a heavy deburring makes about any tap work better.

What sort of hole are you tapping? how precise are you shooting for? If it's gotta be "dead straight", a tap follower, a center in your tailstock on the lathe, mill, drill press, etc can steady it up. Preferably the same setup as you used to make the hole.

I added an extension to one of my tap wrenches so it stays centered in a chuck. I turn it by hand. Have never tried power taping. Too afraid that I will break the tap.

View attachment 420801

This is what I've used for decades when I'm not power tapping.
1663632568140.png

until @Charles scozzari suggested this

20220911_173517.jpg

It was a SMH moment. Haven't used the spindle tappers since.

Turn it to the left.... Kidding aside, plug taps are what you get if you don't special order something else. I've had a couple of taper taps over the years, I don't think I own any at the moment. It's something I only get on an as needed basis, as plug taps are pretty much good from start to finish, unless you've got a particular need. Plug taps start fine. A little chamfer, countersink, or even a heavy deburring makes about any tap work better.

What sort of hole are you tapping? how precise are you shooting for? If it's gotta be "dead straight", a tap follower, a center in your tailstock on the lathe, mill, drill press, etc can steady it up. Preferably the same setup as you used to make the hole.
All same setup in the mill, center drill, 7/32 drill thru about .280", tap held in a ER25 collet hand tightened, jog power tap or turn spindle by hand.

I never thought I would say this but " don't use a keyless chuck ".

I never thought I would say this but " don't use a keyless chuck ".
Nothing wrong with using keyless chuck to drive the tap in, it's only a problem backing out. Unless it's a left-hand tap.

I like to use taper taps when I free-hand tap a hole. The longer taper seems to get the tap started straighter than a plug or bottom tap.

We use the keyless often in the mill.

We use the spindle brake to hold spindle and tighten the chuck.

Hand tap the small stuff, works well.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Back